Stone Emissary
widgetguy
Accepted Solution

Worry-Free Business Security Agent wont start or uninstall

Due to a recent virus/malware problem, the Worry-Free security on my computer was disabled.  It no longer starts up with the computer and when I clock on the desktop icon to start it, it doesnt start up.  I tried to uninstall the program so I can reinstall it, but it won't let me uninstall either.  I'm using the windows add/remove programs remover by the way.  Here's the error message I get:

Unable to uninstall.  An error has stopped the removal of the Trend Micro worry-free business security agent.  No changes have been made to this computer.  Please contact Trend Micro for help.

As of now I'm stuck without an anti-virus and I can't install a new one until this broken one is fixed or removed.  Should I consider using a third party uninstaller program to fix this?

Win Xp service pack 3

Worry-Free Business Security Agent 7.0

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Re: Worry-Free Business Security Agent wont start or uninstall

[ Edited ]

So, you had WFBS 7 running and you still got infected? What was the name of the virus or malware? Did you report it to TM?

To remove it:

I searched the support site for "manually remove" for the WFBS 7 product and came up with this page: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1057237.aspx

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
widgetguy

Yes the antivirus was on at the time.  I know because I saw a threat alert.  It said that the threat was contained though and then 5 minutes later I got the (fake) pop ups saying that there was a bunch of infections on my computer.  The Trend micro disappeared from the system tray the next day.

The malware's name was Zentom System Guard.  No trace of it remains on my computer as far as I know.  I've run half a dozen programs looking for rootkits and viruses and nothing shows up.  Malwarebytes picked it up on the first scan and removied it.

Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
comprac

@Gregg,

TM lets everything through, so whats the point in recording it? :smileywink:

@widgetguy:

Try using the link Gregg gave you. There is also somewhere a description on how to do the steps the tool does completely manually.

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Comprac,

The point of reporting it is to get TM to improve their detection rates and maybe some day have a product worthy of selling.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
widgetguy

Thank you for the link.  It removed the program and I've reinstalled it with no problem.  For some reason the antivirus turned itself off over the weekend:smileysurprised:, but when I restarted the computer this morning, it started up again.

I'm just gonna keep an eye on it for now.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
pardz

Hi widgetguy,

When you say it turned itself off, did you just based on whether the T-Ball Icon is showing on the system tray?

May I also ask if it turned itself off again after you reboot it last Monday?

Pardz

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
widgetguy

By turned itself off I mean that the program was no longer in the system tray or the Windows task manager "processes."  When I went into msconfig "services" it showed that all the Trend Micro process statuses were "stopped."  I tried enable, but it just wouldn't work.

This week, after reinstalling the program it has not shut off.  The computer is still moving really slowly though and all my processes are taking unusually large amounts of memory.  For example, firefox is taking 150+ MB RAM without really doing anything.  For these reasons, I'm not trusting this computer with any passwords or online banking.  At least until I can figure out if there's still some sort of malware on it.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
pardz

Hi widgetguy,

If you still suspect some malware activities in your machine, I suggest you call Trend Micro Technical Support for direct and immediate assistance.

Regards,

Pardz

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.