Stone Emissary
lesconnor
Accepted Solution

WFBS Advanced Issues with Real Time Scan stopping

Hi,

I have about 10 installations of WFBS Advanced v6 SP1, and they all exhibit the following:

On some clients (not all), the real time scan stops. There is no error message or event log error, the event log just shows the services has stopped. The service can be started from services.msc, on some computers it may stay running, on others it stops again immediately.

There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that's common to these workstations, except that they're all Windows XP Pro SP2 or SP3.

I just did a clean install of WXP SP3, and installed the WFBS client applications/services, and the issue is present. I've uninstalled and re-installed the client, but real time scan will start, and then immediately stop.

I cannot seem to resolve this issue, help please.

Les Connor

Microsoft SBS MVP

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
AlanPlus1

Re: WFBS Advanced Issues with Real Time Scan stopping

I have no solution yet but I am experiencing a very similar problem.

The WFBS Advanced Version 6.0 Real-time scan agent stops on several SBS 2003 servers and the taskbat icon turns red. There are no errors reported and it happily restarts manually... until the next time I check. Sometimes it will have stopped again, sometimes it seems ok.

This happens both before and after installation of SP1.

I did open a support case with Trend Micro. At the time they said they didn't have enough information to go on and suggested I install SP1, which I have done, but the problem still occurs intermittently.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
clivestart

I too am having a similar issue. I get this on a server with WFBS ADV 6.0 with SP1 installed, and now also on a Vaio notebook at a different site/customer. All other computers (at both sites) seem to be fine. I have tried the " autopcc.exe -f" a number of time at both sites. Sometimes a start of the service works but sometimes not.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
jayd

Hi Les,

One common issue on windows XP SP3 is that it wasn't able to copy odbcbcp.dll correctly to C:\Windows\System32 directory as a result this will happened.

1. The following driver that is related to realtime scan will not get installed.

• vsapint

• tmfilter

• tmprefilter

2. Realtime scan service can't be started.

Solution:

1. Search odbcbcp.dll on the machine (you can see it in i386 directory) and copy it on C:\Windows\System32

2. Manually install the driver stated above using the tool on the article below

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/pages/Cannot-start-the-Trend-Micro-Client-Server-Security-Agent-Realt...

3. Reboot the machine and see if realtime scan started now, if now, using SC command, you can verify if the driver gets installed successfully.

Thank you,

GerardR

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
AlanPlus1

Thanks for that reply gerardr.

However, the problem we are having is not that the Real-Time Scan will not start. The problem is that the service starts but then stops, on it's own, several hours later.

I can login to a server, start the service and it appears ok. If I login 24 hours later it will have stopped. There are no events in the Windows event logs to indicate when this happening. I have even logged in every hour during a working day to see if I could narrow down when it stops - but all seemed ok, until next day it had stopped once more.

So my current routine, is to login every monring to restart the service !

I have SBS2003 with all current Windows updates installed and WFBSA 6.0 with SP1 installed.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Xavier

Same problem here. We do manage about 20 SBS2003 boxes and since a few weeks we do experience the realtime scan service stop issue. We have seen the issue five times this week.

The issue is not related to a particular version of the product. We have seen it on 5.0, 6.0 and 6.0 SP1.

We have not seen it on SBS 2008, only on SBS 2003 (R2 or not)

I checked the component versions of the servers that experienced the issue this week. What they have in common is:

- Virusscan Engine (32-bit): 9.100.1001 VSApiNt.sys

- IntelliTrap Pattern: 0.127.00 Tmblack.127

- Virus Cleanup Engine (32-bit) 6.2.1016

- Virus Cleanup Template: 1072 Tsc.ptn

- Vulnerability Assessment Pattern: 104 TMVAmain.ptn

I don't know if it is related or not but we also sometimes, and since a few weeks, see tsc.exe being kicked in when we log on a server console. It runs for 2 or 3 minutes, preventing the explorer shell from being initialized, then it stops and we can access the administrator's desktop as usual. I am unable to say for the moment if it has happened on the servers where we have experienced the service stop issue.

Hope this helps,

Xavier

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Waggers

I've just noticed the same problem on our SBS 2008 network.  The server is showing the Real Time Scan as stopped.  Prior to this it's been running quite happily since we installed WFBA a few months ago.

Waggers

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
rhenford

[ Edited ]

I am also noticing this on a few XP SP3 machines in our office. The service is running after booting the machine but stops a little while after that without any error message. I am able to go in and start the service then do a full scan but this issue does not seem to go away. As others have commented, this is only happening to a handful of systems out of a little more than 80.

The machine it is happening on are all XP SP3 with all current updates except for IE8.

Using WFBS v6 build 1331

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Nigel

We are also experiencing the same problem on a Windows XP SP3 PC that is operating as a pseudo server to our network. Trend Real Time Scan starts on boot but after only a few minutes disables itself. If I start the real time scan via Services then it continues to run for the rest of the time the PC is running. I have checked the Trend drivers and all are present vsapint, tmfilter, tmprefilter. This occurred on a previous iteration of the operating system and I recently loaded a new hard drive and rebuilt our opsys and software environment (because we were infected with a Trojan that Trend did not detect!) but the problem still occurs.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
jayd

Hi Nigel,

Please check if odbcbcp.dll file is under C:\Windows\System32. If the file exist, please send the user dump to trend micro support so that we can investigate further because your case might be different since realtime scan starts but intermittently crash.

Thank you,

GerardR

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.