Skip to content

Stone Emissary
Waggers
Accepted Solution

WFBS 7 Installation Best Practice

[ Edited ]

I'm in the process of setting up a new Small Business Server 2011 Standard (as a Hyper-V guest).

Is it better to install WFBS straight onto the SBS machine or on a seperate member server?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Re: WFBS 7 Installation Best Practice

If you are doing Hyper-V for both the SBS 2011 and a member server, and you already have the member server VM, I'd put it onto the member server. If you don't have a member server VM, then use the SBS 2011 VM, as that will take less overall memory than adding a member server to run WFBS.

On the other hand, with all the problems we have seen on this forum with WFBS 7, one should ask "Why install it at all?"

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Waggers

Many thanks for the info.

Looking at the decreased level of posting in this forum I was thinking that the v7 problems had now settled down.  Is this not the case?

I suppose if Trend still haven't fixed it after all this time it might be time to start looking elsewhere!

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

I will not install it on a production network yet, and I have been looking for another vendor. It slows my SBS 2003 server to a crawl when it pulls its updates every hour. Granted, that server is an under-powered mutant pig, but WFBS 6.0 SP3 ran fine on it.

For my problems with my new SBS 2011 server, I have been too busy, and too angry, to think about spending even more time trying to improve a product that has let me down so badly, especially over the last year or two.

Gregg

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.