Stone Esquire
richardk
Accepted Solution

Very Strange Errors in WFBS6

SBS2003 Advanced Server

5 Windows XP / Windows 7 clients

All seems to work fine but after a few days the server stops communicating with our phone clients (ActiveSync) and even has Outlook issues.  When I look in the SBS Application log I see 3007 errors stating

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Server ActiveSync
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3007
Date:  3/8/2010
Time:  8:42:48 AM
User:  BPFFI\brentb
Computer: BPFFISERVER
Description:
Exchange mailbox Server response timeout: Server: [bpFFiserver.xxx.local] User: [brentb@xxx.com]. Exchange ActiveSync Server failed to communicate with the Exchange mailbox server in a timely manner. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly and is not overloaded.

If I reboot the server it starts working again for another 2-3 days then starts all over.  It was suggested that the WFBS was the issue so I temporarily shutdown the services on the server and sure enough all works well again.

And here's a 2nd issue related to the WFBS.  When it is running on the server the Activesync phone clients do not get updated email on their phones unless their Windows XP/Outlook client gets them.  It's as if the phone syncs with the Outlook and only then (and no these phones were NOT set up with a tether to the client and set up that way). 

I uninstalled then completely reinstalled the WFBS 6.1 (including the SP).  It corrected the first 3007 issues but then the 2nd issue appeared.  Now after a few more days the 3007's are coming up again with email stopping.  I shut down the Trend services and all works fine.

What is going on?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
Justineb

Re: Very Strange Errors in WFBS6

This could be resolved by enabling the Virus RealTime Scanning and this was a limitation for Exchange 2003.  This is further explained in Microsoft's website:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827615

Try to perform the following and see if it helps resolve the issue:

a. Enable RealTime Virus Scanning from the Web Console (MSA Configuration Page)

b. Kindly verify the following registry keys on your Exchange Server:

Note: Please backup your registry before doing any of the steps below.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\<Server Name>\Private-\
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\server1\Public-\

Make sure every Database has the value = 1:
        "VirusScanBackgroundScanning"=dword:00000001
        "VirusScanEnabled"=dword:00000001

c.  Check and change these values in the registry the same as below:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\ScanMail for Exchange\CurrentVersion]
     "VirusScanStampMode"=dword:00000002

d.  Check and change these values in the registry the same as below:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan]
     "ProactiveScanning"=dword:00000001

e.  Open [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan]
    "ReloadNow" and set the value to “1”.

f.  Restart MSA Master service. Run a manual scan preferrably done over the weekend.
g.  Sync Windows Mobile phones with Exchange, and try to send a test mail

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.