Skip to content

Stone Esquire
udo2000
Accepted Solution

Upgrade to 7.0 yet? (Server2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 SP1 with 150 endpoints)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We currently have a 2003 server with Exchange 2003 and Trend Micro Worry Free Business Security Advanced 6.0 (build 1331) installed on all the servers and workstations (Exchange has Real-time messaging security agent).

I have been putting off the transition to the new 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2010 SP1 because of all the issues with 7.0 I have read about.

Can anyone share their experience with running the newest version of WFBS Advanced in Server 2008 R2/Exchange 2010 SP1 environment? Any info is appreciated, we have to make the decision soon, either give Trend a chance or move to a different vendor.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Re: Upgrade to 7.0 yet? (Server2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 SP1 with 150 endpoints)

[ Edited ]

I have WFBS 7 build 1435 installed on a virtualized SBS 2011 system (non-production yet), which is integrated Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 SP1, etc. I also have just the SA on my physical Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Hyper-V server, as well as on Win 7 x64 workstations, both physical and VMs.

ALL of them have very slow file copy and delete times for folders with a lot of files in them, but not for folders with few files or with single large files. They have my logs and a ton of captures and are working on it.

Here are my findings using their tool to disable modules:

With all modules OFF and the SA loaded, which is basically the same as having the SA unloaded.:

"Drivers" folder: 782 MB, 4495 files

Copy = 10 seconds

Delete = 1 second

"More details" rate = 50MB/second average

SA unloaded:

Copy = 9 seconds

Delete = nearly instant

With the modules enabled and SA loaded, the folder above would take up to 49 seconds to copy and 9 seconds to delete, and the "More details" rate shows about 7MB/second.

I did comparisons with some more folders with the modules OFF.

XPerf folder and contents, SA loaded or unloaded:

Data size = 1.65 GB

Number of files = 16

Copy = 3 seconds

Delete = instant

"More details" rate = as high as 1.2GB/sec, typically around 500MB/sec

With all modules enabled and the SA loaded, the performance was almost identical.

CDT folder and contents, SA loaded or unloaded:

Data size = 649 MB

Number of files = 312

Copy = 3 seconds

Delete = instant

"More details" rate = 318MB/sec

With all modules enabled and the SA loaded, the performance was almost identical.

"TrendMicroFiles" folder, modules off, SA loaded or unloaded:

5.45 GB, 354 files

Copy = 22 seconds

Delete = instant

"More details" rate = 240MB/sec

Same folder, but with all modules on and SA loaded: copy = 1:06, delete = instant

Single 1GB zip file (of the "TrendMicroFiles" folders):

Copy = 1 second

Delete = instant

"More details" rate = it finishes too fast for me to click on it!

Same file, but with all modules on and SA loaded: copy = 2 seconds, delete = instant

It appears to be a problem with the number of files, not the size of the data being copied or deleted.

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.