Skip to content

Stone Emissary
sbisbirmingham
Accepted Solution

SMTP 550 5.7.1 blocked by Email Reputation Service

Several of my clients are reporting that senders are receiving failure notices.  We have received email from these senders with no problem heretofore.  For now I am just whitelisting their addresses in approved senders.  Anyone else seeing this issue, or has something changed in the Exchange component?

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
ChrisKo

Re: SMTP 550 5.7.1 blocked by Email Reputation Service

"Email Reputation Service" is a RBL-Blacklist, the mails are blocked by the IP-address of the sending mail-server.

Whitelisting does not help here...

Check the blocked IPs here: http://www.mail-abuse.com/lookup.html

Regards

Christian Kotthoff

ConnecT Informationstechnik GmbH

Christian Kotthoff - ConnecT Informationstechnik GmbH

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
sbisbirmingham

The ip address 74.54.77.242 of niccoinc.com does not appear on the blacklist.

Some emails from bellsouth.net have been blocked.  Whitelisting those addresses appeared to have worked.

This has only been occurring the past couple of days.  Something has changed.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
sbisbirmingham

I have noticed a similarity on a couple of the blocked emails.  They originate from websitewelcome.com.  Whitelisting the originating address worked in one case, but not the other they are still blocked.  Can't find any of the ip's asociated with this email in the blacklist.  Here is part of the failure notice...  66.0.20.34 is our Trend Micro/Exchange server.

66.0.20.34 does not like recipient.

> Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Your email messages have been blocked by the

> recipient OR by Trend Micro Email Reputation Service. Contact the

> recipient or his/her administrator using alternate means to resolve the

> issue.

> Giving up on 66.0.20.34.

> --- Below this line is a copy of the message.

> Return-Path: <debbie@niccoinc.com>

> Received: (qmail 24559 invoked from network); 15 Mar 2011 14:26:52 -0000

> Received: from targa.websitewelcome.com (74.54.77.242)

>  by gateway07.websitewelcome.com with SMTP; 15 Mar 2011 14:26:52 -0000

> Received: from [24.178.178.207] (port=4744 helo=xpf4b2de597201)

> by targa.websitewelcome.com with smtp (Exim 4.69)

> (envelope-from <debbie@niccoinc.com>)

> id 1PzVEn-0006kl-1b

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

I have never been able to use ERS Advanced due to false positives on many Yahoo emails. I turned it off completely because it has no way to whitelist by domain.

Gregg Hill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
sbisbirmingham

I have seen other posters express that same sentiment, however we have always had ers enabled on all our small business server installs without issue.  Strange that it would just now be a problem after years of service.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Actually, my problems were years ago, and I have not tried it since about 2008!

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
hfournier

I've had no issues for years as well. Now, I've tried just using Standard, but had to turn it off completely as my client was not getting e-mails from sources that have never been a problem before.

So far... it's been anything but "Worry Free".

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
kirill

Hello,

Is normal situation when when some admins don't know to configure the MX records, anyway, you can add the IP addresses to white list AND/OR to white list on ERS management.

You need to use your activation code to create a logon to management.

The normally the MX record must to have static IP and PTR record in DNS. You always can check where the problem at IP look-up tool at www.mail-abuse.com site.

Kirill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate Emeritus. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience. Now posting as KirillGelfand.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Kirill,

When I tried ERS years ago, they had the problem IP addresses on their list as confirmed spammers, and those IPs were from Yahoo.com servers. Because Yahoo sends from MANY different IP addresses, I had to just turn off ERS Advanced, and finally dumped ERS Standard as well.

Maybe they have fixed those problems, but the problem with any RBL is that there will sometimes be false-poistive hits, regardless of whether or not one has proper MX and rDNS records.

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.