Skip to content

Stone Emissary
bttr
Accepted Solution

Improving the performance of OfficeScan clients or Client/Server Security Agents

Does this article still apply to SP1 or SP2 installation of WFBS 6.0?

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/pages/Improving-the-performance-of-OfficeScan-related-clients-agents....

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
dalewj

Re: Improving the performance of OfficeScan clients or Client/Server Security Agents

[ Edited ]

Yes this technote has been active (and probably will be active) for all WFBS installs.  Saying that, there is a risk of not scanning your Agents as the machines boot.   But if you are seeing a problem with speed on boot, you can delay the start of Real Time Scan for a few minutes.

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Re: Improving the performance of OfficeScan clients or Client/Server Security Agents

I just used it yesterday on a WFBS Advanced 6.0 SP2 network. It made very little difference. Five systems were BRUTALLY SLOW until I completely removed WFBS from those workstations and then re-installed it. They were all at normal speed when WFBS 6.0 SP2 was installed two weeks ago, but over time, became almost unusable.

I certainly hope WFBS 7 is better than 6.0! Join the beta starting on Friday https://www.trendbeta.com/index.php?get=356&conten t=579

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.
Honored Noble
galbicka

Gregg - not sure if you have seen my related thread for this issue

http://community.trendmicro.com/t5/Business-Security-Forum/OSCE-10-SP1-Patch-1-client-performance-is...

Have you investigated whether behavior monitoring could be the culprit in your environment?

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/documentation/guides/Best%20Practices%20for%20Deploying%20Behavior%20M...

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Yes, I saw your thread. I am using WFBS 6.0 SP2, not OfficeScan, but some of the same things apply. Behavior Monitoring is enabled. I went on site last night and did all kinds of recommended settings per MS articles, Trend articles, and Google searches: added IRPStackSize=30 (default=15); set PagedPoolSize from 0 to maximum size; added EnableRSS=0 to disable TCP/IP Receive Side Scaling; added DisableTaskOffload=1 to disable offloading network tasks to network card driver; installed latest BIOS, chipset, and network card drivers; defragged hard drives; delayed TSC.exe startup; set NTRtScanInitSleep to 60000 for a one-minute delay; ran the TMPerfTool to check load on systems: no high CPU usage; excluded their MAS 90 app from Behavior Monitoring; complete removal of the WFBS client agent, rebooting, and reinstalling it.

The ONLY thing that helped was complete removal of the WFBS client agent, rebooting, and reinstalling it. The client has two identical Dell systems, so I added another group in WFBS and cloned the default group's settings, then disabled Behavior Monitoring. I left one of the twin systems in the default group and moved one to the non-BM group. I have to give it a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
dalewj

oh dell's   i have had many people with dells having problems.  It has to do with the Agent going against the Dell Nics.  You might want to call support cause they know the cure.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Dell usually uses Broadcom NICs (horrible in servers!). Two systems have Broadcom, the rest are Intel NICs. The usual "cure" for the Broadcom NICs is to update the drivers, then edit the registry to add EnableRSS=0 to disable TCP/IP Receive Side Scaling and add DisableTaskOffload=1 to disable offloading network tasks to network card driver.

Are you saying that they have a different cure?

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
dalewj

I dont know the cure, jsut know as i talk to people they got it fixed by support.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Cool! I'll give them a shout.

Gregg

Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
StillLooking

Wow. I am so glad to here it isn't just me! I have about 20-30 customer installs and all day long all I hear is complaints about how long the computers sit at the "applying computer settings" screen or how slow they are. I have had customers clock it. 3 minutes is about the norm to log in and yes it has been proven that it is the Trend WFBS 6.0 with SP2. The sure fire fix? Uninstall it! I have some customers where it takes 10 minutes.

Delayed startup, no TSC at start, disable Behavior monitoring, only scan files that have changed... wow. Why even bother having virus software! I agree with the comments above. 6.0 has been about as bug filled and problematic as I have seen! Maybe with the exception of Acronis BR10 LOL!

So as I said it isn't just certain installs, no specfic computer manufacturer or NIC. It is pretty much "you install WFBS 6.0 and you will bring your computer to its knees". End of story. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't have the time to babysit every installation I have and do nothing 8 hours a day but try and tweak it to get it to work right.

Same support as Acronis. All guesses. Try this. If it doesn't work try this. If that doesn't work try this. On and on. Come on Trend! When are you going to put out a product that works and doesn't bring a computer to its knees?

OK. I'll get off my soap box. Surely I am not the only one who has experienced this HUGE DELAY at "Applying Computer Settings". Has anyone found a sure fire fix? I know Trend hasn't... 

Please use plain text.