Skip to content

Stone Esquire
haznoreverse
Accepted Solution

cannot open main console or manually scan

Hello,

I have trend micro titanium 2012 installed, purchased with my laptop from best buy a couple years ago.  As of late I cannot open the main console, scan or check for program updates.  When I attempt to, the circle appears next to my mouse pointer for a couple seconds and then goes away, and nothing happens.  I've tried launching it from the toolbar icon, the desktop icon and the all programs listing.

Also, whenever my computer is hard-booted after a lockup, or if I try to launch trend off of the desktop icon, I get the windows security box asking if I want to run "...end/Micro/Titanium/UIFramework/uiWinMgr.exe".  When I agree to run it, I get the same circle next to my mouse pointer, then nothing.  Not sure if the two issues are connected.

Thank you.

ps computer is running Windows Vista if it matters.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
crissisason

Re: cannot open main console or manually scan

Hello haznoreverse ,

The main and common reason on the problem that you are encountering now is because the Trend Micro program is prevented by the Windows Vista permissions. This is a common issue with Windows Vista operating system. Please do the following below.

[STEP 1] Scan computer in Fake Antivirus Removal Tool and Housecall Tool:

•             http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/Fake-Antiviru​s-FakeAV-Removal-Tool.aspx

•             http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/How-do-I-scan​-my-computer-using-HouseCall.aspx

[STEP 2] Start computer in safe mode with networking:

1.            Turn off the computer.

2.            Turn on the computer and tap multiple times the F8 key continuously. (If F8 won't work, use F5)

3.            On “Advance boot option”, use your arrow keys.

4.            Highlight “safe mode with networking” and press enter key.

5.            Log on to your computer

[STEP 3] Reset IE/Clear Temp

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. From the Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" and then "Internet Options"

3. From the Internet Options window, please go to the General tab and click the Delete button under the     Browsing history

4. A small window will appear and please check all the check boxes and click Delete or Delete all button

5. Please wait after all the items are deleted

6. Please go to the “Advanced” tab and on the bottom part, click the Reset button

7. Go on with the Reset process until you will receive a prompt to restart Internet Explorer

8. Close Internet Explorer

[STEP 4] Flush DNS

1. Click the Start Button

2. Click Run

3. Type "CMD" and click Ok button and a black window should appear

4. Type in "IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS" and press Enter on your keyboard

5. It should tell you that the DNS is flushed successfully after that closes the black window

[STEP 5] Remove the existing Trend Micro program

1.            Use the Diagnostic Toolkit for the old version:

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059​018.aspx

2. Remove the remains of the Trend Micro program manually:

Follow the steps below:

1.            Click on Start.

2.            Click on Computer.

3.            Double Click on Local Disk C or the C Drive.

4.            Double Click on Program Files.

5.            Right Click on Trend Micro Folders/Files (If any).

6.            Click on Delete.

7.            Click on BACK or go back to Local Disk C.

8.             Delete the serial file of Trend Micro.

If using Windows Vista/7:

Double Click on ProgramData.

If you didn’t find ProgramData:

•             Click on Organize on the upper left part of the window.

•             Click on Folder and search options.

•             Click on the View Tab.

•             Click on Show Hidden Files and Folders.

•             Click on Apply and then OK.

•             You should now see the ProgramData folder.

If using Windows XP:

Open Documents and settings.

Open “All Users” folder.

Open Application Data folder.

If you don’t see the Application data folder:

•             Click on Tools.

•             Click on Folder Options.

•             Click on the View Tab.

•             Click on Show Hidden Files and Folders.

•             Click on OK.

•             You should now see the Application Data folder.

10.          Delete all the Trend Micro folder/files that you see inside ProgramData/Application Data.

11.          Close the window.

[STEP 6] Use the permission tool and certclass hotfix:

Run the tools on the links below:

Permission Tool:

1.            Delete the contents of the C:\Windows\Temp folder.

2.            Go to the C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS folder, and then look for the tmtdi.sys file.

3.            If it is in the folder, delete it.

4.            Run the permission tool: [This step is important to apply permissions]

http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/EN​-1058157/PermissionTool.zip

If prompted for a password, use “novirus” as a password.

Certclass Hotfix:

http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/EN​-056340/Ti_30_win_en_KeyRecoverCertClasRebuild_T....

[STEP 7] Restart the computer

[STEP 8] Reinstall your Trend Micro program

[STEP 9] Check if the problem still persists.

I hope this helps,

community logo.png

I am a Trend Micro employee.  My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience.  I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
thisisme_ndwk

Hi haznoreverse,

Since you are unable to open your Trend Micro program and you mentioned that you hard boot your computer, there could be interrupted programs or processes. So you need to jumpstart it and you can do this by following the instructions below:

1. Go to START>> All Programs>> Trend Micro Folder

2. Open More Tools and Help Folder

3. Click on the Diagnostic Toolkit

4. Click on Uinstall Tab

5. Click on Stop All Components and wait until all buttons have grayed out

6. Click on Start All Components and check if you can now open your Trend Micro Program.

Goodluck!

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
haznoreverse

one thing I forgot to ask:

Is the trend micro program protecting my computer at the present time (the icon in the tray says "protected" when I mouse over it, and I have all green lights in the security section of the control panel) despite my inability to manually scan and access the main menu, or is it completely disabled, putting my computer at risk?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
haznoreverse

edit to above post: after reinstalling the program I've having the same issues, along with a new one:  my norton desktop icon has the windows shield on top of it;  not sure how to get it off of there or what it means.  All the original problems persist.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
haznoreverse

edit to above post: trend icon* has the shield on it, not norton.  I don't have norton.  I wish there was an option to edit your posts on this board.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
sakura

hi haznoreverse,

If the Trend Micro program says "Protected" at the bottom right, it means it's installed on your computer and proactively protects your computer. There are numerous causes why you're experiencing this issue. Most of the time it's the User Account Control(UAC) that's preventing you from opening some application due to security level.

To narrow down the cause of the issue, please try to disable the UAC:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. If the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box is ticked, clear the checkbox to disable it. Restart your computer after disabling it and check if you can now open the Trend Micro main console.

4. If you'll be able to open the Trend Micro program, that means the UAC is preventing you from opening it.

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.