Stone Esquire
surferboogie
Accepted Solution

Transfer of Protected Data Blocked notification

[ Edited ]

So, I keep receiving a "Transfer of protected data blocked" message.  It reads as credit card on some and on others email address.  my question is 2 parts.  How do I view what the source is, to investigate where the problem is coming from?  What is the solution for these messages?  thank you

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
RAAR

Re: warning

Hi surferboogie,

Depending on the Trend micro software you are using this may be part of the "Data Theft Protection" feature of your Trend Micro software.

When the feature is active and data/information is registered to it, the Trend Micro software will block the registered data from being sent over the internet. Based on the information you listed, you may have registered your e-mail address and credit card information. So whenever this information is being sent over the internet it is being blocked.

This does not necessarily mean that the information is being stolen from your computer. When you visit websites or send out e-mails it may contain your e-mail address and this is what is being blocked. For the credit card, if you only registered 4 digits ( the minimum required to activate the feature ) it is possible that the data being sent online also contains those same digits.

To verify if this is the feature causing the problem please disable it and see if it still occurs. Let us know how it goes.

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire nan
Stone Esquire
nan

Using Trend Micro Titanium MAx Security--I'd like to be able to see what caused the blocking. I don't want to temporarily disable the feature only to discover that it really *is* data theft going on. To me, if I can't check somehow to see what was causing the block, the feature might as well be turned off. :smileysad: I so far have only told it to block a CC number, the last 4 digits, so I know that's the only thing it's blocking. Without being able to see what asked for the #, how do I know if it's theft o just... something else that uses that sequence of numbers?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
ComputerPuttz

I also am confused by the data theft box that keeps popping up.

Am I supposed to close it by clicking on the X box in the upper right corner or do I click the OK box or if I click the OK box do I allow the information to be transferred ? 

I couldn't find any help in any of your online support info or in any or the tutorials or within the program.

Total lack of customer help

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
plasmicmike

Is anyone able to answer this?

I get the same message for both credit card and email. I am not actively clicking anything ... just have IE open and the pop-ups start. Full scan, nothing found.

What is the point of this feature if it can't tell me what is is blocking? Is there a log somewhere?

This was a main selling point for me and has become a complete frustration.

-Mike

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
subzero

Hi Plasmicmike,

Please do the following to view the logs related to data theft prvention feature:

1. Open the main console.

2. Click on the security report icon (looks like a bar graph)

3. On the bottom right click on "View detailed logs"

4. On the logs window select "Data Theft Prevention" on the drop down choice.

Regards,

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire nan
Stone Esquire
nan

subzero wrote:

Hi Plasmicmike,

Please do the following to view the logs related to data theft prvention feature:

1. Open the main console.

2. Click on the security report icon (looks like a bar graph)

3. On the bottom right click on "View detailed logs"

4. On the logs window select "Data Theft Prevention" on the drop down choice.

Regards,

I tried looking at the detailed logs. Under the data threat warnings, of which 5 were listed, it indicated only "credit card", and when I clicked "details", the same. There was NO information to tell me what site was attempting to take my info or if it was merely a routine transfer of data back and forth (whatever that's called). Without that, it's kind of useless. I know that three of them were for sure "innocent" because at the time of the pop up warning, the procedure I was attempting to do online failed until I "temporarily cancelled" the protection.

What I would prefer to be able to do is hover over or click on the pop up warning to see *at that moment* what is trying to use that combination of numbers, rather than have to open the console, click on the security logs, click on the drop down list... etc. And if that's how it must be done (the long way to the info), it would be nice to actually have info of substance there to understand what's happening.

I hope they make this feature--which is a nice one in theory--more useful in the future. SOON! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
fuzzycat77

I have also been having this issue for a few months. I currently have 4 CC#'s, 4 Bank Acct #'s, 2 SS #'s, and 2 Phone #'s being protected. I am receiving upwards of two hundred blocks per day (even while on there website). It is simply ridicules. I have done online chat and phone calls with CS to try and resolve the issue and nothing has worked. They can not tell you how to find out who is trying to access your info or even if anyone is actually trying to access your info or if the numbers you have chosen to be protected just happen to randomly be on a website you are browsing. The only suggestions they can give you is to disable the feature temporarily, completely or lesson the info you would like to be protected.

So in other words this new great feature they have came out with is just a useless headache!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Robertfwebb

I would like to add my support to have this Data Theft Protection feature enhanced to identify what program was attempting to send my credit card or e-mail information over my internet connection.

I like the idea of this kind of protection, but if I don't know what is sending it, I am reluctant as to how I should respond to the alert.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
neilg68

I had the same problem.  I think it may be caused if you only use 4 numbers in the process of setting up the block.  I changed to the full numbers and the problem went away.

Please use plain text.