TEKIAMI
djenkins
Accepted Solution

TmBpIeBHO Class add-on is crashing Internet Explorer 9

The Trend Micro add-on "TmBpIeBHO Class" is crashing Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) when I go to a legitimate web site http://www.expedia-aarp.com .  I have checked the web site at the Trend Micro Site Safety Center (http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com) and it reports that the site is safe.

In any case, I would expect a pop-up message or something instead of crashing Internet Explorer when a bad site is detected. The message I get is "Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". If I debug the problem, the error occurs at TmBpIe32.dll!6c37d9f2() on the call stack.

The version of TmBpIeBHO is  7.0.0.1086 dated Tuesday, ‎September ‎27, ‎2011, ‏‎2:35 AM.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
simonn

Re: TmBpIeBHO Class add-on is crashing Internet Explorer 9

Hi djenkins,

You may try to read and run the hotfix in this article which is related to your issue although from a different website.

Regards,

Simon

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
TEKIAMI
djenkins

Thanks, Simon. I tried the hotfix but it didn't work. I get the same IE9 crash at TmBpIe32.dll!615fd9f2().

Do you have any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
simonn

You may try to reset your IE settings from this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 then re-enable the trend micro toolbar.

Hope this works.

Regards,

Simon

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
TEKIAMI
djenkins

Unfortunately, IE9 still crashes when I go to http://expedia-aarp.com.  

I reset IE9 using the link you provided. Now, the only 2 add-ons that are enabled are "TmIePlugInBHO Class" and "TmBpIeBHO Class". If I disable them, it works.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
simonn

Hi  djenkins,

You may try reinstalling your Trend Micro program. Use the Diagnostic toolkit when uninstalling it. You may refer to this link. then go to this website downloadcenter.trendmicro.com and download the appropriate version you have.

Regards,

simon

Please use plain text.
TEKIAMI
djenkins

Thanks, Simon. Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work.

I did as you suggested and uninstalled Trend Micro with the Diagnostic toolkit. Then I looked at IE9 and the add-ons were definitely gone. I could browse fine to aarp-expedia.com without crashing.

Then I reinstalled Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 without a problem. When I started IE9, it asked me to enable the 2 Trend add-ons. At first, I skipped enabling them and I could browse fine. Then I did enable them and IE9 crashed on aarp-expedia.com as before.

It looks like there is definitely something wrong with these Trend Micro add-ons. Do you know if there's a fixed version coming out anytime soon?  Until then, I guess I'll have to disable them.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
simonn

Hi djenkins,

There will be an update coming out this March 20th. Until then, you can try to disable the add-ons first but that's not recommended. Do you have other browser such as Mozilla FireFox or Google Chrome?

Please use plain text.
Stone Talent
abombaci

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't worry. It's not your Trend Micro. I just went to the website myself and it crashed. Said Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working? Well guess what? There's a problem with that website! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
TEKIAMI
djenkins

Hi Simon,

I do have Firefox, but when I look at its add-ons it shows both Trend Micro add-ons are disabled. The messages say "Trend Micro BEP Firefox Extension is incompatible with Firefox 10.0.2" and "Trend Micro NSC Firefox Extension is incompatible with Firefox 10.0.2".

I'm gald an update is coming soon. I'm eager to try it.

Please use plain text.