Stone Emissary
schmidtj
Accepted Solution

Titanium IS How do I customize a scheduled scan of my computer

I want to schedule a weekly scan of only my C: drive. I don't see any option on how to confugure that actual backup (quick, full, custom) when I schedule it.

How is this done?

Thanks,

J

Please use plain text.
Stone Kendo
dmccann

Re: Titanium IS How do I customize a scheduled scan of my computer

By default scheduled scans are full scans.  As the quick scan takes only a minute or two to run it makes no sense to schedule it.  For me, and I suspect the vast majority of users, the purpose of a scheduled scan is to give the whole system a thourough going over at a time when it will not not disrupt my use of the system. I can imagine no reason to exclude the C: drive from a scheduled scan, and since 90% of the elapsed time of a full scan is used scanning that drive it adds very little time to a scan to do do the full system.  I guess if one had a giant dedicated media drive attached they might wish to exclude it; but the black hats are always coming up with new stuff; so from my perspective a scheduled scan should exclude nothing (especially if the drive is Shared).  I like like the peace of mind that comes with knowing that everything connected to my pc is clean after a scheduled scan.  Also, since my scans are scheduled to occure in otherwise idle time why would I not want to know that my entire system is clean.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
schmidtj

I want to EXCLUDE some shared drives that are cloud based.

I am billed by bandwidth to those drives and don't want TM IS to read them in total each week.
So there is no way to have TM IS Titanium do a Custom Scan each week ?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
Ondots

Hi schmidtj,

Trend Micro's full scan don't include mapped network drives and I believe Virtual drives for your storage in the cloud is considered as a Network Drive so this is not scanned by Trend Micro. Usually items on your online storage is cached on your computer represented by a drive under My Computer.

Titanium, since you can't specify what drives are scanned during a Scheduled Scan, does it by sequence of 3 Quick Scans and 1 Full Scan 3:1 then resets the counter to 0 again.

Hope this has been informative to you.

Regards :smileyhappy:

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
irongate

My scheduled scans are only taking a minute or so to complete. If I run a manual quick scan it also only takes about a minute.   When it's in progress it looks like it's not scanning contents of My Documents.  If I run a manual full scan it takes well over an hour.  

That makes me question the comment "By default scheduled scans are full scans."  Or am I missing something? I'm running Trend Micro Titanium IS version 3.0.1303.  (If it's relevant the used space on my Drive C is 67GB out of a total 453GB available)

Please use plain text.
Stone Kendo
dmccann

irongate-  I am sorry for my original comment. You are correct.  The scheduled scan feature defaults to 3 quick scans followed by one full scan, then 3 quick, then 1 full, etc.  This would result in one full scan every 4 days if the feature is set to daily or 1 full scan every month if set to a specific day.  While this scheme seems reasonable to me,  I understand from another thread in this forum that Trends' engineers are working adding some more user control back into this feature.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
irongate

Thankyou dmccann.  Correct information of this type should be in the "Product Manual" but it's not.  The Manual currently omits a lot of content that the average non tech user such as I am would find very useful and save time wading through forums.  Many of Trend's competitors are a bit more helpful, thorough and professional in this way. 

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
fmarshall

[ Edited ]

AMEN!  The control of scans, their type, the logging of scans by type, etc. etc. needs some serious work.  I eagerly await the improvements.  I SELL this thing with no commission. 

How can one find out the schedule / plan for getting this done?

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
annoyed

Any updates on this? I'd really like to remove several drives and folders from the scheduled scan list, currently I use the exception list to omit what I would like but that makes for one big exception list.

It would be really nice to have control over scheduled scans as with previous versions where a different scan could be set for different times. i.e scan drives C & D Monday, E & F Tuesday, omit all removable drives etc, I'm sure this function was in previous version of Trend and having it again would be great.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
psoftpm

I have Titanium installed.  The scheduled scan does a "quick scan" by default.  There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can set the type of scan I want run when scheduled.  Reading the other postings it looks like the "full scan" is scheduled by default for them.  Can someone at Trend Micro respond to this.

Also, when I manually start a "full scan", it sometimes takes a couple of hours to run and other times it takes 8 to 10 hours to run.  Why is there such a variation in run times.   

Please use plain text.