Skip to content

Stone Emissary
CarolF5
Accepted Solution

Temporarily disabling to download a program

Greetings;

I want to install my new diabetes management program on my computer and I am supposed to disable the firewall and the virus program temporarily to do that. Well, I can disable the  Windows firewall, but, I cannot find where to disable the virus so I can install the new program.

I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum and I have Windows 7.

Is there a way to do it as I really need to install that program.

Thank you,

CarolF5

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
loidas

Re: Temporarily disabling to download a program

Hi CarolF,

To simply disable your program temporarily, please do the following:

1. Click on Start > All Programs > Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security > Trend Micro Support Diagnostic Toolkit.

2. Hit on Yes to continue.

3. Select Uninstall Tab then Stop all components.

Try to install your diabetes management program then restart the computer.

I hope I was able to help you with your concern.

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
contentsynergy

Is there a recommended way to screen programs that require you to disable virus checking or firewalls prior to downloading?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
rakistangcute

Hi contentsynergy,

Regarding your concern, actually Trend Micro Titanium has the capability to ask or popup a question upon installing any program that is why we don't really recommend disabling programs.

This is one of the advanced feature of the program. But just in case you really need to disable the program first, you can simply exit the program at the buttom right hand corner(system tray).

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
dmccann

contentsynergy:

Generally legitimate programs will give you the option to "save file" or "run file".  I always choose "save file" and then do a selective scan on it before diabling my firewall and antivirus to install it.  If that is not possible I would research the program and the download source to see if there are reports of malware associated with either of them.  In this day and age I have encountered very few legitimate programs that require you to disable all protection.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Quinty

I have just encountered the same problem with an external hard drive from Western digital called "My Book Essential" which requires the firewall and virus protection to be disabled to receive updates.   I am digitally challenged but know enough to be a bit scared. 

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Quinty

That doesn't mean I've lost any digits................

Please use plain text.
TEKIAMI
dpl

i think its not the whole program you need to disable, only the web filter /web reputation blocking your download. Try setting to normal mode
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
polypore

@Quinty (or anyone who can advise)... ever so glad you didn't lose digits, but how was this resolved? I just got a Western Digital external back-up drive and want to update the firmware. They insist:

• All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled.
  • All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled.

I have Windows 7 and TM Worry-Free Business Security Services (through Dell)

Any clear procedural advice will be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
silentpal

Hi Polypore,

If you are using your Western Digital External to back up your files and you wanted to upgrade your firmware. You need to comply to that as this is an IMPORTANT precautions must be performed before applying the firmware update to avoid data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.

For complete details click here.

Note: Temporarily disabling your security program won't hurt your system on this case. As soon as you re-enabled your security program it has the capability of checking for threats.

To disable your TM Worry-Free Business Security Services please contact Technical Support here.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

silentpal

Please use plain text.