Stone Esquire
llee0501
Accepted Solution

Issues installing Titanium

After the installation program uninstalls the old Trend Micro 2010 version and reboots the box comes up stating "Checking Computer" .It then tells me to reboot computer again for changes to take effect..It's like it is in a loop or it is seeing something that did not get fully removed by the install program.  I tried using the Diagnostic tool to make sure nothing was left and that didn't work..I used Housecall to see if there were any viruses or spyware didn't find anything.All Windows service packs are up-to-date..I am at a lost.  If I was receiving an error message it would at least help but no error message or anything. What am I missing?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
Ondots

Re: Issues installing Titanium

[ Edited ]

Hi llee0501,

Welcome to the Trend Micro Community!

Please follow the following procedures to install Titanium on the computer.

A. Delete TrendMicro in the Registry

1. Click Start and click Run (Start Search if using Vista or W7)

2. Type regedit and click OK or hit the Enter button

3. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on the left pane of the Registry Editor and expand it.

4. Under it expand Software

5. Under Software look for TrendMicro folder and delete it

6. Close Registry Editor

B. Delete Trend Micro under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (C:\Programdata if using Vista or W7)

2. Type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (C:\Programdata if using Vista or W7) and hit Enter

3. Look for the Trend Micro folder and Delete it

C. Delete Trend Micro folder under Program Files

2. Type C:\Program Files and hit Enter

3. Look for the Trend Micro folder and Delete it

D. Run SupportTool.exe again to completely remove Titanium and restart computer

E. Reinstall Titanium

Good Luck! :smileyhappy:

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
xmagix

Remnants might still be on the registry. We can try manually deleting some parts of the installed TrendMicro software manually from the registry to allow the Diagnostic Toolkit to work normally. The whole TrendMicro entry in your registry needs to be deleted.

Important: Editing your computer's registry can cause serious errors on your computer. Always create a backup before making any changes. If you need assistance, you can view the Help file by clicking Help > Help Topics on the Registry Editor window. You can also contact Trend Micro Technical Support.

Please try doing the following:

1. Boot into windows safemode

2. Click Start > Run (Start Search for Windows Vista and Windows 7).

3. Type “regedit” into the Open field, then click OK. The Registry Editor window will appear.

4. On the Registry Editor window, click the + sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the folder.

5. Click on the + sign beside SOFTWARE to expand the folder.

6. Under SOFTWARE, look for the TrendMicro and then right-click on it then select the DELETE option

7. Once the TrendMicro entry is deleted please close out of the Registry Editor.

8. Restart your computer in Normal Mode and try running the Diagnostic Toolkit and use the uninstall software again.

Run the installation. Please let us know how this works.

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
MrNormsHGW

[ Edited ]

I just bought Titanium Maximum Securityy 2011. I installed it and was told "you must restart your program to restore your protection", so I restarted, again & again & again, maybe 7 times just in case it was doing updates but at some point it got ridiculous. I though maybe it had something to do with with my old Trend 2010 that it overwrote so I deleted, did a reg clean and re-installed, it wanted a new user name, so after the re-install guess what, "restart to restore blah blah blah!!".

Now I checked this board and saw others have had the same problem and woohoo it was marked RESOLVED. I followed the directions to a T even manually removing "TrendMicro" references in the registry manually. (yes, I know how, I've been on PC's since early 80s or before DOS 2.0) Now it's all gone like you said to do here, I re-installed and had to use a 3rd name now (so now I'm screwed on putting this on my other 2 systems!!!!!) After I re-installed with a clean registry, guess what!!! "YOU MUST RESTART YOUR PROGRAM BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!"

None of the TOOLS work as it is also but, if I uncheck Protection Against Viruses & Spyware the TOOLS do work, is this a tad bit backwards?

What kind of crap is this!!!!! I've been using Trend for 6+ years now and all of a sudden I get this!!! What the heck did you folks do? DO I sound a bit POed, gee, I wonder why? I paid over $80 for this only to find it does not work and I can't return it now because it's been opened!

I used to use Norton but something like this happened to me when they went through changes, I finally had to rebuild my HD Norton screwed it up so bad, now Trend is following the same path!! I'm stuck now with no security and I'll end up going to the computer store Monday (tomorrow) to get a new product, ONE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!

If you can help I'll apologize, but at this point I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!!

BTW: I use Win XP Pro 32 bit

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
shavas

same issues here. Tried it on 3 machines. Winxp  Pro - 32bit

Please use plain text.
Master Esquire Neo
Master Esquire
Neo

Just follow he Ondots instructions and after you are doing all of these you will go to "C:\WINDOWS\Temp" and delete everything what is inside and then reboot your computer and try to install it again .... after you're installing make sure that the first thing to do is to update it manually and icon will disapear once or twice "that's because it would install the updates" and then you can configure your settings .....

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
drhubarb

My Trend-Micro (1yr 2mo old) was working ok, but I got an email from Trend-Micro Newsletter telling to do the free upgrade to Titanium for 2011.  So, I did.  What a mess.  I currently have NO protection, and I've been trying to troubleshoot this mess for the past 3 hours.  Its making me fall behind on my coursework for college, too.  I've read through the suggestions above, have done all of them.  Reinstalled, and I'm right back where I was.  It gives the message "Protection Disabled. You must restart the program to restore protection," followed by a "Restart Now" button.  When I click, it shuts down my computer and restarts, but comes up exactly the same way again (disabled).  What a bunch of crock.  I'm ready to go find a new anti-virus, except that you guys already took my money for a year.  Any other suggestions, since I mistakenly trusted Trend-Micro's newsletter link to get me into this mess in the first place??????? 

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
drhubarb

Me again.  Still troubleshooting, no good results yet, no feedback yet.  See attachment below...

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
drhubarb

Hello?  Is there anybody out there?  I have NO Trend-Micro protection on my system right now, it won't let me go back to the prior version with my key, it won't let me re-install the new one...  I'm dead in the water.  Needing assistance.  Not a techie.  Frustrated beyond all hope.  Regretting ever clicking on the Trend-Micro Newsletter offer for a "free upgrade".

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro
SusanW

[ Edited ]

Hi drhubarb,

Luckily, as a customer you have access to Technical Support.  Contact info is in your help menu, on the box (if you bought a disk), and in the Support drop down menu at the top of this Community page.  Technical Support is the first line of communications for problems; the Community is voluntary and thus provides less timely or customized guidance and solutions.

Please contact Technical Support for best results.  Sorry you're having difficulties but I sincerely hope they are resolved quickly and completely.

SusanW

Trend Community Manager

Please use plain text.