Skip to content

Stone Esquire
seceshman
Accepted Solution

24 Hours and only 21%

So Titanium Internet Security is running a full scan and its been almost 24 hours and has only progressed 21%. It is still going and has not locked. Is this right?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
chaste02

Re: 24 Hours and only 21%

Hi seceshman,

The Titanium Scan should not take that long. There might be an issue with the last file it is trying to scan (corrupted, use by windows, used by other applications). Where you able to get the exact path and filename of the targeted file when it hang on 21%?

A screenshot of the scan hangs will help us investigate further.

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
kekolohe

Titanium has slowed my old PC somewhat, especially at bootup, but it got unbearably slow when I had an external USB HDD attached.  The fix was easy for me.  Note that my PC only has USB ver. 1.  

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
bobby66

Since taking up Trend Micro Titanium Max Security last month, I have been experiencing constant problems with the full scan - it is slow and never completes. I followed the advice on TM performance issues and stopped and restarted the program using the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. This allowed me to successfully run the full scan but the problem reappeared the following day.  So to successfully run the full scan, I now have to stop and restart the program each time before scanning using the TM Diagnostic toolkit. It's time wasting and annoying!  I notice threads on this problem on the TM website which go back to last year, including compaints of the hanging full scan and mention of hotfixes and of the non permanency of the workaround. Three other friends who use Titanium are also experiencing the same prblems. Surely, there must be a permanent solution to this problem by now? If not, could TM imbed the stop/start workaround temporarily in the program?

PLEASE HELP? 

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
chaste02

hi bobby66,

As mentioned above there might be an issue with the last file it is trying to scan (corrupted, use by windows, used by other applications) or you currently have External Hardrive with massive amount of files. Kindly answer the questions below so that we can try to narrow down the exact Scan issue that you have. Please note that Scan Hang issue have different causes compared to Scan Stops with an error message.

1. Where you able to get the exact path and filename of the targeted file when it hang?

2. Do you received an error message while scanning? A screenshot of the scan hangs will help us investigate further.

3. Where you able to download recent Titanium updates to 3.1.xxx?

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
bobby66

Hi Chaste02,

The full scan has not gone past 21% and is stuck on file 48389. The file being scanned is a ZIP file containing 15 photos with total of 59.2MB. Address of file is C:\USERS\XYZW\PICTURES\BUILDING\IMG_0176.zip.

No error messages received, the screen shows normal scanning operation.

The current titanium version on PC is 3.1.1109_US03037004.0362.  Also indicates that update cannot be received  during the current scan.

I do not have external harddrive connected. I have only trend micro running plus IE for the TM support page.

Hope this gives you more data to work on.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
chaste02

Thanks bobby66 ^_^

Can we try scanning just the file C:\USERS\XYZW\PICTURES\BUILDING\IMG_0176.zip?

You can do this by navigating to the location of the file. Right click and choose Scan for viruses.

How long does it get stuck on file 48389 or IMG_0176.zip?

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
bobby66

Hi Chase02,

Ran TM titanium on the Zip file. It took only 10 secs.

But I had to do a prior PC restart as I was not able to abort the previous TM scan.  

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
bobby66

Hi Chase02,

I think the PC restart may have cleared the problem for now as the complete full scan now takes 45 mins.

I'll advise if further problems occur in next few days.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
chaste02

[ Edited ]

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I tried replicating your environment with compressed images and didn't experience Scan Hangs on my test pc. Let me know how it goes so that we can find ways to identify root cause and resolve the issue.

I'm off work now so I'll have limited access to the TM Community. I'll just check back later.

------------------------

UPDATE

You can upgrade your Trend Micro program to the 2012 version.

Titanium Maximum Security: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059​036.aspx

Titanium Internet Security: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1058​977.aspx

Titanium Antivirus+: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059​147.aspx

***Note: This thread is locked due to inactivity, for similar concerns kindly post a new topic.

Please use plain text.