Skip to content

Affiliate
greggmh123
Accepted Solution

Titanium performance problems

I just upgraded my father-in-law's desktop running Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2010 to Titanium Maximum Security via the download link in the home user My Account web page.

Boot times INCREASED, time to open most applications INCREASED, and scan times increased dramatically. I thought this version was supposed to be FASTER! Time from power-up to TMIS Pro 2010 showing status being loaded was 2:30. With Titanium, it went up by TWO MINUTES and is now 4:30 to get to the point of Titanium being loaded, as indicated by mousing over the tray icon.

System specs:

Intel motherboard, Intel P4 2.0 GHz CPU, 2GB memory, 500GB ATA hard drive.

The coreServiceShell.exe process goes as high as 92% during a system scan right after installation.

On another system, I downloaded Titanium Maximum Security via that client's My Account page, and then did a fresh installation of it on a Dell D630 laptop with 1GB memory, 80GB drive with 50GB free. I have run one full scan, and am now doing another. CPU usage on coreServiceShell.exe goes as high as 50% for several minutes.

In both cases, memory usage Commit Charge is less than physical memory installed, so not much paging is taking place.

Any idea why it is SO SLOW?

Thank you!

Gregg Hill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
dmccann

Re: Titanium performance problems

The target US release date for Desktop Titanium 3.xx is around Sept 8th.  However, I too noticed its availability on my download page a while ago.  I just assumed it was because I chose to participate in their product improvement program.  I have installed it on 2 of my computers on different days and noticed different build numbers.  I think they are still tweaking with it.  In “other settings-system startup” I selected “balanced” there was very noticeable improvement on my Win7 but very little on Vista.  I suspect it has to with how well the OS handles hyper treading (most improvement on multi core processors with threading).  The biggest speed improvements I have noticed are in the quick scan (very fast) and internet browsing much faster (and safer due to its use of smart protection network).  As far as the full scan…there is always going to be a tradeoff between speed and thoroughness (heuristics and what not). As most of us only schedule “full” scans to run unattended or if we suspect problems I would prefer very thorough (and yes I noticed that it seems a bit slower). Also notice that “broadband connection” is highly recommended as Titanium is always updating incrementally in the background.  If it only gets a connection occasionally it will have more updating to do at startup.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Hello!

I'll have to see how his system does after a day or two. The laptop seemed quicker after it had done an overnight full scan.

Then again, he can use this slowness as an excuse to get the new computer I have been recommending to him for two years!

Gregg Hill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
RAAR

I have just upgraded my laptop using TIS17.5 PRO from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I want to monitor the performance a few more days before I upgrade to Titanium (which also appeared as a download in my myaccount page) so I can compare the machines performance.

I should be able to share my expirience by this weeks end.

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Titanium Maximum Security high CPU usage

I installed Titanium Maximum Security build 1303 on an XP Pro SP3 system with all MS patches. It has 1GB memory and uses 800MB, has tons of disk space, but runs VERY slowly. The coreServiceShell.exe process takes form 5% to 76% CPU usage, most of the time being over 30% CPU usage. This installation was an upgrade from TMIS Pro 2010's latest build.

How can I limit the CPU usage on this pig?

Gregg Hill

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
spede2

Re: Titanium Maximum Security high CPU usage

Yeah it's ram usage is ridiculous its been up around 110megs.

I dont see how they can call this program fast and light.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
mallimoosh

Titanium when running makes my internet speed slooooow

[ Edited ]

I was on the phone all night with my ISP trying to figure out why my premium broadband signal was only downloading at 3 Kbps... eventually I figured out it was Trend Micro Titanium. My computer is fast, the internet signal is slow- only when Titanium is running. Any ideas? I have completely removed my old Antivirus, also Im wondering about the proxy settings of Titanium which should I us, if any? (It's set to off now)

2x 2.9Ghz/ 4 gb RAM/ 512mb 9800gt/ 250GBHDD

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
chaste02

Re: Titanium when running makes my internet speed slooooow

Hi mallimoosh,

May we know the version of Titanium you have installed? Antivirus+? Internet or Maximum Security?

There's a possibility that some remnants of your previous AV is still on the machine. To help you check that, would it be ok if we request msinfo.txt from your machine?

<<http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/How-to-get-System-Information-log-needed-by-Technical-Support.a...>>

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
mallimoosh

Hi

I had Titanium Internet Security installed. The slow internet speeds finally became unbearable and I  switched back to 2010 version.

I dont understand, Titanium is advertised not to slow things down, but I had big drops in connection speed, from around 20-25 Mbps down to 3 Mbps with Titanium running.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
sweet_trender21

[ Edited ]

Hi mallimoosh,

You are right the new Titanium program should not slows things down.

The Titanium Cloud Security Advantage

Trend Micro Titanium is powered by the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network, our cloud security infrastructure that stops threats in cyberspace or “the cloud.” Smart Protection Network monitors the Internet 24/7, worldwide. It gathers and analyzes threat data and blocks viruses and other malware before they can reach your PC. And because processing is done in the cloud, Titanium uses less of your PC’s memory and disk space. It will not slow you down.

Key features and benefits include:

·Cloud technology
  Trend Micro Titanium leverages the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network plus real-time antivirus scanning to provide always-on Internet protection to keep you safe from the latest and ever-evolving malware threats.

·Automatic protection
  This removes the guesswork of protecting your PC. Trend Micro Titanium intelligently and immediately reacts to threats.

·Simple installation
 Installing Trend Micro Titanium only takes a few clicks.

·Streamlined interface
 Trend Micro Titanium is easy to understand and simple to manage

If it is possible to provide us the system information if you wish to reinstall Titanium back in your computer it will help us check and see whats causing the issue. Use the link below to generate the log.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/How-to-get-System-Information-log-needed-by-Technical-Support.a...

Thank you

Please use plain text.