Skip to content

Stone Esquire
meow4

When searching for malware, why is it suggested to start with a Housecall scan when I can do a full scan with my 2012 Titanium internet security?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
arteec

Re: Housecall

Hi meow4

This is an interesting question. :smileyhappy:

Ideally, when you are suspicious that the computer is infected with a malware, we strongly suggest to perform a full system scan using your security program. I, for one, this would be my first intuition.

However, due to the rapid and dramatic increase of the web threats including malware, there are certain scenarios whereas even the security programs are sometimes bypassed and disabled by these complex web threats. They could also block security programs from performing updates and even scanning the system. For this, independent or stand-alone scanners like Housecall, Rootkit Buster, Fake Antivirus removers, etc. are being used and suggested to run on infected machines. These scanners are up-to-date with the latest patterns that could resolve such issues. 

You can read on this PDF file for more info about the most rampant malware nowadays:

http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/1055338/EN/Unmasking_FakeAV_v4.pdf

Hope this answers your query.

By the way, where did you read this suggestion?

Best regards, 

Artee 

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
meow4

Thank you Arteec.  I can now enjoy Monday!

About ten days ago an apparent virus hit my IBM desktop.  It was the first time I've experienced this since I tried writing DOS programs for my  8K Radio Shack computer back in 1979. I suppose I was way overdue.

At the outset of the attack, I determined that the missing desktop folders and waves of popups was anything but normal and immediately disconnected from the net in order to isolate the apparent abnormality.  The main popup was an announcement that this was a virus (or something like that) and proposed correcting it immediately.  The popup was not from Trend or Windows or Microsoft and I was mindful of earlier warnings not to respond to such attempts to induce participation eminating from pop-ups.

I  immediately ran a full Trend scan, which takes 150 minutes on this 10 year old, Pentium 4, XP Home machine and it produce zero returns.  Clean!  This didn't make sense but who said computer based logic is a reasonable expection.

Four hours after the initial attack, the desktop was logged into the Geek Squad and confirmed as a virus attack. Four days later and including the weekend, I had my baby back home and back into production.

Besides the missing desktop folders and files, I had lost all my programs on the Menu. But watching the Trend scan of files and folders revealing their presence in memory. I was able to quit and boot-up normally after the attack, but ultimately lost some small add-on programs, some settings and some other minor items after retrieving my cleaned machine.

I was told the "virus" was actually "malware."  And the malware was know as "system check" according to the repair geek's notes. The drone geek told me the story of how this theft works and the immense risk of have my credit card and identity broadcast throughout the universe of international thieves had I taken the bait. 

Two questions popped into my mind after this incident.  What is malware? And, "Why did not my 2012 Trend Micro internet titanium program stop this?" especially when my log revealed it stopped 5 web threats just prior to this incident on the same morning.  This represented a very high number of probes for me inasmuch as I am not on the net 24/7.  Hence, my reason for spending some time Saturday searching for answers on Trend's site.  This resulted in joining the community as a last-ditch, despiration attempt to find an answer.

And after spending way too much time on trying to understand Housecall and its relationship to my product, I asked the question which you answered in your reply, so let me thank you for your help.

But your answer does not address my concern that another malware attack will breach my 2012 Trend protection.  Nor does it answer a question that is generated by your answer: Must I run Housecall every day instead of doing a Titanium scan or perhaps, run both programs sequentially?  Got any guidance on these issues that you might want to share?

Life is just not simple anymore.  Thanks again foryour rapid reply and simple answer.

Regards,

Meow4 (more happiness) :catvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Legendary Noble
malwarekiller

i surely would love to help u in removal of the system check malware if u wish...

—————
Was this post helpful? Say “thanks” by giving me a “Kudo”!
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
arteec

Hi meow4

Just quoting a response from a fellow Trender regarding similar concerns (from post)

"First and foremost, the volume of threats has increased dramatically over the last 3 years to the point that there are 3.5 new threats (or more) released in to the world every second of every day.  Clearly, the bad guys are quick.  They also have the luxury that they don't have to QA anything so they can be a little quicker than our developers can be.  Additionally, the complexity of the threats has increased dramatically, so reverse engineering, analysis, etc. takes a lot longer than it did 3 years ago.  I'm not making excuses here, just pointing out that the net net of it is, the bad guys can release increasingly complex threats at an alarmingly quick rate.  Bottom line, we don't release the threats and we try our best to protect our customers, and we don't like it any more than you when a machine gets infected, but these are the realities of the digitally connected world we live in.  A different perspective to put this in, consider the billions of threats we do stop that no one ever sees or hears about compared to smaller number of threats that make it through."

"Bottom line, we understand your challenges, we hear your concerns, and the roughly 5,000 employees of Trend Micro do what they can every day to help keep our customers safe in this increasingly hostile, digitally connected world."

Housecall is a an on-demand scanner for identifying and removing viruses, Trojans, worms, unwanted browser plugins, and other malware. This is used for instances that Trend Micro security program did not run properly due to possible infection on the computer. Housecall and Trend Micro programs uses the same malware or virus patterns. Thus, running both would be redundant. 

Some tips to avoid future problems regarding malware:

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/threats/home-user/common-threats/viruses/

For websites that you are unsure if safe, you can check its classification on Trend Micro Site Safety website.

You can also check this link for more tips:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-ways-to-avoid-viruses-and-spyware/813

Have a safe browsing! :smileywink:

Regards, 

Artee :smileyhappy:

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.