Accepted Solution

Page cannot be displayed using web install

Infrastructure :

OfficeScan 10 with ServicePack 1 R4

Apache2

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Clients :

Windows XP SP3 with IE6 and above

I've been trying to install OfficeScan client into several machine using the web install ( clicking on the install link on OfficeScan web console homepage )

The first page with Install button appears. But after that ( after  clicking on the Install button ) the next page I get "The page cannot be displayed" after a few minutes loading.

This is the second time this problem occurs in the past 2 weeks.

The previous one was solved by reinstalling the ServicePack.

But I don't think that keep on reinstalling the ServicePack will be a good idea.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

Re: Page cannot be displayed using web install

I would suggest an alternate installation method since the installation method you are using is heavily dependent on ActiveX and Internet Explorer settings.  The options I would suggest instead:

1. Run the installer via UNC directly from the server.  The path is:

\\servername\ofcscan\autopcc.exe

2. Create a client package (MSI or EXE), post it on a shared location and run that instead.  The client packager tool is on the OfficeScan server in the following location:  <drive>:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\Admin\Utility\ClientPackager.  Instructions for using it, if needed, are located in the management console under Tools -> Client Tools -> Client Packager.

There are a couple other options as well you could use, but based on what you described, these would be the best options in my opinion.

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
welly_hartanto

Thank you for replying.

Yes, installing the client using installation package and pushing it using web work well.

But, the thing that I'm worried about is that there may be a problem in my OfficeScan server more than just the not-functioning web install.

Back right after the SP1 R4 installation, the web install worked well.

I have clean up everything on the server including files in quarantine folder and temp folder.

I have also checked for zero size file on critical OfficeScan server installation files to make sure that there is no corrupted file involved in this problem.

And I don't think the problem lies in client computers due to ActiveX behaviours because I have tested on several different machines with lowest ActiveX security, but ended up with the same result.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

The installation files used for the web install are completely seperate from all the other files on the OfficeScan server, so I wouldn't really worry if there is a problem with just these files.  It won't affect anything else on the server, including other installation methods as you have just validated.

I checked in our tracking system, and looked at our available hotfixes, and I don't see any fixes/solutions specifically for this issue.  That being said, here are a couple things you may want to take a look at to see if you can find a quick solution.  Worst case, I would just avoid using this installation method moving forward, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

First thing to check:

Check that the following files aren't 0-bytes in size on your OfficeScan server.  This would indicate corruption of just these installation files (which won't affect other installation methods, or the day to day operation of the product).  The files listed below are typically between 3-9kb each.

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\Web_OSCE\Web_console\HTML\ClientInstall

NTsetup0.htm
NTsetup1.htm
NTsetup2.htm
NTsetup3.htm
NTsetup4.htm
NTsetup4e.htm

If they are 0-bytes in size, you can copy them from another OfficeScan server, or try and extract them out of the installation package, but you are on your own with that one.

Second thing to check:

Check to see that the %TEMP% directory on your OfficeScan server (usually C:\WINNT\Temp or C:\WINDOWS\Temp) has the following permissions:

Verify that the Group "Users" or "Authenticated users" have the following special permissions:

Traverse Folder/Execute Folder

Create Files/Write Data

Create Folders/Append Data

If the problem persists, and you aren't comfortable with just ignoring it, you will need to contact Technical Support and they can help you with more thorough troubleshooting and find you a permanent resolution.

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
welly_hartanto

All those files for Web Console are in good shape and the system temporary directory rights also in appropriate state.

I'm thinking of reinstalling the whole OfficeScan server and see what will happen after that.

Thanks for help

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
rpaz

[ Edited ]

Hi Ryandelany,

Thanks for your tip about the TEMP folder permissions, I has having a similar problem.

When installing OfficeScan 10 using the Web install after hit the "Install Now" button i only got a black page with the URL

http://officescan_server/officescan/console/html/ClientInstall/wichplatform.htm

Somehow the Temp folder got deleted and recreated with the wrong permissions.

___

Rui Paz

Please use plain text.