Skip to content

Stone Emissary
Rodrigo_Tenorio

OfficeScan bzip2.exe

Hi,

I'm using OfficeScan 10 sp1 but in some machines have one error with bzip2.exe.

Frequently pop up of windows was showed:

bzip2.exe encountered a problem and needed to close.

Making an analysis was identified that the file contained in the same directory of the client's trend.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

Re: OfficeScan bzip2.exe

I only found one other case that reported this same issue, and it appeared that the bzip2.exe on those machines was corrupt and reinstalling the client resolved the issue.  Since the issue was resolved, the case was closed and no root cause analysis was performed.

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling those clients and see if the issue is resolved?

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Rodrigo_Tenorio

Ryan,

I tried to reinstall the client on the machine and the problem persist. In my network some machines have this problem, In the server machine I have this problem (with officescan client) and analysing the event viewer the issue happened in random times.

The error on event viewer

Faulting application bzip2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module bzip2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000ceed.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
malcazar

One of my client tell me that in their machine appear this message "bzip2.exe encountered a problem and needed to close.". But I dont tell him that only reinstall the client of Office Scan because the problem appear on many computers.

The only solution is to reinstall?

Best Regards

Michael

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

It looks like other customers have reported similar issues in the past few weeks, and the culprit seems to be another copy of bzip2.exe that already existed on the system and was not part of the Trend Micro software.  Can you do a search on your machine and see if you have multiple copies of bzip2.exe?

If you do, you can either delete the ones that are not in the Trend Micro path, or you can modify the path statement environment variable so that the Trend Micro instance of bzip2.exe gets used instead of any other copies on the machine.

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
malcazar

Hello Ryan,

Today at 10:00 (GMT -05:00) will go to my client for I check the problem. Then I update this forum. But you can send me procedure for "I modify the path statement environment variable"

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
malcazar

Hello Ryan,

I check if it have got another copy of bzip2.exe but only copy it is folder Trendmicro. I try install in the OfficeScan console the last patch "osce-10.0-sp1-patch1.exe " and I think that the problem was solved because it doesnt appear error message.

could you send me information about this type of error to explain to my client?

Thanks,

Michael

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved.

Since the issue has been resolved without collecting any logs, debug info, etc. I don't really have an explanation except that it was obviously a bug that was resolved with the Patch that we released months ago, that hadn't yet been installed.

Ryan

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
malcazar

One last query, could you send me information about the file bzip2.exe? what is it used?

Thanks for your help Ryan.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Rodrigo_Tenorio

Hello Michael,

you resolved your issue installing the patch1 in all the machines or only in the server of officescan?

I just reinstall the in client but I had the problem and the error happened again.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Please use plain text.