Skip to content

Stone Emissary
GoodboyBA
Accepted Solution

Best way to apply OSCE PATCh1 Service Pack 1 using deployment

How have you applied the patch osce pacth1 SP1?

Have you used client packager to create a new package?

I would like to apply this patch using SMS and that starts with creating a package.

My client packager does not seem to work. The client packager ClnPack.exe  always generates an error that the path specified is not correct.

I have used Browse to my local drive for the output file and used the ofscan.ini in the PCCSV folder.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
Typhoon87

Re: Best way to apply OSCE PATCh1 Service Pack 1 using deployment

After you have applied the patch to the server existing machines will update as soon as they connect for an update.

To push the software to new machines yes, use the client packager utilty and create an MSI. Then deploy said MSI with SMS, SCCM, ZEN or whatever other method you use.

You have to point the packager file to the ofcini

Tom Stachowiak
Helpdesk Coordinator
D'Youville College
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
GoodboyBA

But, would I have to put the executable: osce_10.0_patch1_sp1 in the PCCRSVC\Web_Osce_\Web\ClientUtility folder.

I think that you have to put this pacth into a folder before running Client packager to create MSI file.

I have created the file  from client pakager and installed twice but the patch has not been applied as shown by the version info.

Should I edit the ClnPack.ini?  Or other options?

Basicall I want to tell Client packager that there is a new file that to be added to the package it will create.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

You have two options:

1. Install SP1 Patch 1 on the server by downloading it/placing it on the OfficeScan server and double-clicking it.  Once the server is upgraded, the patch will automatically deploy out to your clients by default.  You can turn this off, but unless bandwidth is a big issue for you, I would just let the upgrade happen this way.  You can turn off the auto-deploy feature by checking the following setting under Networked Computers -> Client Management -> Settings -> Privileges and Other Settings -> Other Settings (tab)

Clients can update components but not upgrade the client program or deploy hot fixes

You need to be careful about where you apply this setting (Globally, per-Domain, etc.) and remember that you enabled it so you don't have problems in the future when you try and do an upgrade and it doesn't work.

2. Deploy the Patch via an MSI, which requires you to do step #1 above and install the Patch on the OfficeScan server and then create a client package.  When you use the client packager tool, the Source File needs to point to the ofcscan.ini in the PCCSRV directory, and the Output file can be anywhere but must also include a filename (like osce10sp1patch1.msi).  Of course the path needs to be writeable, etc.  If you are doing this on Windows 2008, you may need to use the "Run as Administrator" option when you start up clnpack.exe or adjust your permissions accordingly.

Whichever way you go, you don't unpack the patch yourself into any directory, like the ClientUtility folder, you just double-click to install it.

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
GoodboyBA

I have followed your tips and it worked fine for me. Thanks.

The server correctly applied the pacth.

However, I still have question related to "after package installation".

How do I check that this patch has been successful once installed on client machine?

Should not the version number shows 10.1 now instead of 10.0 for officeScan. Is there a registry key that may tell if the client has OSCE 10.0 Patch1 and Service Pack1 installed?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
weedee

Hello ryan,

I'm also in the point of upgrading our Officescan 10.0 SP1 server to 10.0 SP1 Patch 1.

I would like to use option 1 to deploy new client version.

Installation notes for Patch 1 says, that Officescan Common Firewall and TMTDI drivers are updated when Patch1 is installed and it's recommended to immediatly reboot all client computers after installing the patch.

Can Officescan server force restart of client computers after patch is installed to clients? How often client computer "poll" Officescan server?

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
ryandelany

OfficeScan can not force the clients to reboot.  The clients will be notified immediately about the available upgrade if they are online (the server will tell the client).  If the clients are offline, they will discover the upgrade when they boot up (and the tmlisten service successfully contacts the server).

Since you are going through the trouble, you should probably think about going to OfficeScan 10.5 which was released recently.

Ryan

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
weedee

Ryan -

Ok, thanks for your reply.

If I install Patch 1 to our Officescan server and enable option:

Clients can update components but not upgrade the client program or deploy hot fixes

Does my users get any restart notifications? I checked out installation notes for Patch 1 and it states that it contains new driver for Common Firewall and TMTDI.

I want to know if any restart is required on client computers, if Patch 1 is installed to server and that option is enabled.

Please use plain text.