Skip to content

Stone Emissary
kyellena
Accepted Solution

Windows Update service not running - has my machine been hijacked?

Running Vista 32 on Sony Vaio VGN-CR120E. Windows update does not appear to be functioning properly.  When I try to manually get updates I am told that the service is not running and I will need to restart my machine. On other help forums I find that there may be something wrong with the registry but cannot get to the correct info on how to resolve it on my machine.  I also see that there is the possiblity that I've been hacked and will need to rebuild my system.  I have run my Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security complete system scan and received no errors. I'm hoping that this is a bug that TM is aware of and can assist in removing from my system without the need to rebuild from scratch.  This machine is 5 years old and has quite a bit of data that will difficult to retrieve.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

Re: Windows Update service not running - has my machine been hijacked?

[ Edited ]

Welcome aboard! Posted Image

Download ComboFix from the any of the locations given in this website:

• IMPORTANT !!! You need to Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
      • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you are still unsure on how to do this, see here
      • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
      • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
      • If you already have the Recovery Console preinstalled, it will not ask for the following. If it does prompt, allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click Yes, to continue scanning for malware. Please be patient and don't use the PC whilst it is scanning.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please copy & paste the contents of this log (also found at C:\ComboFix.txt) in your next reply at your topic.

NEXT

Download AVPTool from Here to your desktop  

Run the programme you have just downloaded to your desktop (it will be randomly named )  

First we will run a virus scan   

Click the cog in the upper right

Select down to and including your main drive, once done select the Automatic scan tab and press Start Scan

Allow AVP to delete all infections found
      Once it has finished select report tab (last tab)
      Select Detected threats report from the left and press Save button
      Save it to your desktop and attach to your next post 

FINALLY

Download  Windows Repair (all in one)  from this site 

Install the programme then run 

Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disc check

Once that is done then go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC

On the start repairs tab select advanced mode and click start 

Select the items in the red surround (remove the ticks from the rest ) and tick restart system when finished

—————
Was this post helpful? Say “thanks” by giving me a “Kudo”!
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
kyellena

Thank you for your quick response. I ran all the utilities outlined and attached the combofix report.  The Kaspersky report is too large.  Nothing was found by Kaspersky or the Windows repair utility.  Do you have any other thoughts as to how to resolve the windows update error?

Please use plain text.
Master Esquire Neo
Master Esquire
Neo

Hello kyellena you could try to reset the windows update components 

Please refer to this link how to reset the windows update component

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

and there you have a toll "Fix It" and there are also instructions to do it manually

hope this helps ... :smileyhappy:  

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
kyellena

Thank you. I ran it again, but that program was one of the first things I ran when I noticed the problem.  Still hasn't resolved the issue. 

Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

ok do this:

Open run[windows key+r]

type in:

services.msc

in the new services window

trace the windows update service.

right click on it

select properties

if the startup type is disabled enable it to automatic. 

—————
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
kyellena

I checked that information.  Everything is set to automatic.  I've attached the screen shot of the properties in case there's something that looks off there.  But I still can't update.  My last update was September 15, 2011... I tried uninstalling the update but it didn't help. 

Thank you again for your assistance.

Please use plain text.
Honored Talent
RobertDitLeBob

[ Edited ]

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/en-us

In english you'll find it there the solution.

Support end dates

Here are the dates when support will end for PCs running Windows XP and Windows Vista without the latest service packs:

• Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011. To continue support, make sure you've installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

• Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010. To continue support, make sure you've installed Windows Vista SP2.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Learn-how-to-install-Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-2-S...

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
kyellena

[ Edited ]

This is great information.  Thank you.  I went to this solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/ and encountered a few problems.  Any thoughts on how to resolve getting an 'System Error 5 has occurred.  Access is denied.' error at the command prompt when I type "net stop bits"?  I was also unable to delete the qmgr*.dat file as directed in the next step - directory not found.  I performed a search and could not find the file either (included hidden files in the search).  I would love to be able to stop and restart the update service but am not sure how to get around these errors.  I am the administrator and sole user of the computer. There are no other profiles on the machine and I cannot think why access would be denied...

I am running Service Pack 2 already so the dates regarding the end of updates/support should not apply.

Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

[ Edited ]

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

IF STILL NO JOY

1.Open Command Prompt by Start -> Run and type “cmd

2.On the Command Prompt, type “net stop wuauserv“. This is done so that you will terminate the windows automatic update service to allow us to delete the cache files.

3.Still on the Command Prompt, type “cd /d %windir%” or “cd\windows

4.Type “rd /s SoftwareDistribution“.

5.Thats it, the cache has been purged. Now we need to restart the windows automatic update service again. To do that, type “net start wuauserv".

—————
Please use plain text.