Skip to content

Stone Esquire
letsrock
Accepted Solution

Virus popups...Trend Micro won't start

I started getting virus pop-ups left and right.  I tried to run a Trend Micro scan, but Trend opens for two seconds then closes.  I ran a HijackThis scan.  Attached is the log.  Any help would be very appreciated!  Thank You!

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
markle

Re: Virus popups...Trend Micro won't start

Hi letsrock,

I have analyzed your logfile and found malicious entries on your system.

1. Please run Hijackthis again and click on the SCAN button
2. Put a checkmark on the following items:
O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Wneqisu] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\acecafof.dll",e
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2306703629-3312991929-3769800661-1008\..\Run: [Spyware Protection] C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Application Data\defender.exe (User 'Jason')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei-5/myWebFaceInitialSet up1.0.1.3.cab
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://www.sibcycline.com/webphotos/listnet/CIN/1136147_5.jpg

3. Click on the Fix Checked button

SHOW HIDDEN FILES
1. Open your My Computer
2. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
5. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types
6. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
7. Click on Apply and OK

DELETE HIDDEN MALICIOUS FILES
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Application Data\defender.exe
C:\WINDOWS\acecafof.dll

RUN FAKE AV REMOVER TOOL
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/Fake-Antivirus-FakeAV-Removal-Tool.aspx

Regards,

markle

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
letsrock

Thank you so much for your help!  I'm in the clear!

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
WarwickJ

Hi Markle (or is it Mark?)

I have run the malware removal tool, Sysclean & Twinfix but none have managed to remove the malware.

I have attached the hijackthis log file because the differences are too many for me to be able to pick the virus files.

Could you please provide you comments like you did for Letsrock?

When I restart the computer Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2011 says it needs to be renewed but that there are 350 days until the subscription expires. (I Just recently loaded the new version.)

Thanks and regards, WarwickJ

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
WarwickJ

Hi Markle (or Mark)

Don't worry I couldn't wait any longer, as I'd already spent two weeks trying to sort it out, so I took the PC to our local PC technician.

He said the Trend Micro had cleaned about 95% of the virus/malware but there were some items in the boot sector, etc that couldn't be cleaned without direct action by editing the programming to correct the virus infection.

Thanks anyway

Kind regards, WarwickJ

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
sauron_03

Trend Micro won't start..plizz help me...

here my hijackthis.log...

tq 

Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
LordWorm2

Hi sauron,

Open HJT and perform a scan.

Find these lines and put check marks on them.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = my.daemon-search.com

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {88c7f2aa-f93f-432c-8f0e-b7d85967a527} - (no file)

Click Fix Check.

I see no severe infection based on your log. You may try disabling your Windows Defender and check if Trend Micro will load. If not, you may need to contact support for a clean reinstallation. 

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
oryanbelt

Hey there. I am getting the same issue as everyone else here.

My Trend Antivirus won't open. Attached is my log file from HighJackThis. If someone could give it a look and help me here. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
arteec

Hi oryanbelt,

I have checked on your Hijackthis log and it seems that the system is clean from any malware.

Regarding your concern about opening up your Trend Micro main console, have you tried applying a hot fix for this issue?

You can try applying this Hot Fix for this issue.

If your User Account Controls is turned on your computer, you can try following the steps on this link:

I cannot open the main console of my Titanium program if the User Account Control (UAC) is enabled

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Artee

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
oryanbelt

[ Edited ]

Hi there arteec. Thank you for your help so far. Unfortunatly, that hot fix you suggested didn't work. The main console still won't open. If you have any other suggestions, I would most appreciate the help. Thank you.

Please use plain text.