Stone Esquire
dwn2zero
Accepted Solution

Trend Micro Internet Security vs Kaspersky 2010

Long 1st post

Just an FYI concerning my experience with Kaspersky vs Trend. Hope it is helpful.

These are my personal findings - your mileage may vary...

I've used Trend Micro Internet Security on corporate laptops for years with only positive results and since the Fall of 2007 (Trend Micro Internet Security 2008) on my personal XP & Vista computers. It worked very well in the corporate environment & I figured it would do the same in the personal environment. The XP Internet Security Home version had some quirks, which I will go into in a bit, but it seemed, generally, to work ok.

Earlier this year (2010) I found that my XP laptop was getting slower & slower. Trend wasn't reporting any real issues so I decided to reload XP and see if that would make things better. It did improve things slightly but the pc still seemed slow. 

Trend Micro didn't get too good of a rating in Consumer Reports this year and Kaspersky has been getting some good reviews from several sources, including people I know who had switched over to it from Trend.

Anyway, I uninstalled Trend and installed Kaspersky 2010 and it scanned my disks for almost 2 days. Kaspersky found 57 trojans & viruses that Trend didn't seem to recognize. There were all sorts of keyloggers also.

I didn't use the XP computer for personal bill paying or such, but this was very disturbing. I understand that all antivirus programs can give false positives and I believe some of these were just that but certainly not all of them.

As far as the speed of the XP computer, it doesn't seem any slower or faster with Kaspersky than Trend.

Vista Home Premium - I did the same with it. I unloaded Trend & loaded Kaspersky 2011 which has just been announced. It scanned my pc hard drive & one external hard drive for several hours and didn't report a single virus or trojan or keylogger !

Note: The Vista laptop came with Norton 2007 on it & it caused me so much trouble I finally uninstalled it.

So, to me Trend seems to be keeping my Vista laptop clean and not doing such a good job with the XP laptop.

Note: I purchased Trend Internet Security 2008 in the fall of 2007. I did an online update of it in the fall of 2008 to the 2009 version. The program updates almost every day and after some time the 2009 XP version started to act strange and would tell me that the daily update wasn't working & it was reverting back to the previous day's version. Then the little Trend icon would disappear from the tray. I would stop Trend & restart & sometimes it would work & sometimes it wouldn't.

Trend Support told me that I had still Trend 2008 running instead of 2009. This was way after I had payed for the online update. We twiddled the system to no avail & they finally had me completely uninstall Trend with the "Tisstool" & reinstall a 2009 version that they had me download.

This seemed to work for a while, but I had some more problems after updating to 2010 (in the fall of 2009).

I did all the things we had done before, uninstall, reinstall, etc. All was working again.

My Vista version never had these problems.

Bottom Line:

Trend Micro Internet Security

Solid program for my Vista Home Premium (32bit)   

Cleaner, easier to understand interface.    

Trend Support was very knowledgeable & helpful & that is a DOUBLE PLUS GOOD !

My career has been in computer field support for over 40 years & I know excellent support when I happen across it.

Trend has not been so good for my WinXP system.

Note: For what its worth, some of my friends have switched from Trend to Kaspersky on Windows 7 and have said that Kaspersky was finding viruses that Trend had not.

-----------

Kaspersky 2010/2011

The  interface, to me, is more cryptic than Trend's. It seems more difficult to read the results & tune the program. Of course , after several of years, I'm very familiar with Trend's interface & know where to go to block programs from internet access, change settings, etc.

WinXP version found more viruses, trojans, etc. than Trend.

Kaspersky Support - Haven't tried them yet but I will very soon.

I am looking forward to trying the Trend Titanium release.

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

Re: Trend Micro Internet Security vs Kaspersky 2010

If you have a Trend "My Account" set up, log into it. It may already have the Titanium equivalent for you to download. Don't look for a lot of customizations, though, as they seem to have removed a lot of its granularity.

It look like a dumbed-down version for bare-minimum end users to understand.

Gregg Hill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Kendo
dmccann

“Kaspersky found 57 Trojans & viruses that Trend didn't seem to recognize.”-- Just as it seems like too many to explain by “false positives” it also seems like too many to be explained by a performance a difference on the XP and Vista platforms.  Was the scan “advanced settings” and “white list” of the TM AV set the same on both systems? Did the XP have software/toolbar helpers that the Vista did not…especially other AV or antispyware?  Some AV scan engines often miss-identify “kill bits” set by some antispyware tools as Trojans.  I sometimes wonder if they don’t do this on purpose to pump their detections up for marketing.  After all, if they are going to scan for “two days” they ought to find something. 

That being said I do keep some other AV tools (free versions) handy; for second opinions. (I’m the paranoid type!).  So far they have not found anything after a Titanium Scan.   As you noted...These are my personal findings - your mileage may vary... 

Sept 8th is the official release date for Titanium.  I Put it on 2 different machines last week and got 2 different build numbers with some slight differences.  I’m going to reinstall after the 8th.    Some of the “granularity” that Gregg refers to was all geek…er Greek to me, so I really like the new interface!

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

I am a computer consultant by profession and HATE IT when a company prohibits choices...especially when their defaults are severely lacking, as has been the case with Trend for several years.

Gregg Hill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.