Stone Esquire
fraserdude
Accepted Solution

Remove News.Net Toolbar

This intruder arrived on my PC with a peice of freeware from what I thought was a reliable source.

Does anyone know a reliable method for getting rid of it?

Please use plain text.
Epic Talent
malwarekiller

Re: Remove News.Net Toolbar

lease download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

NEXT

Download fresh copy of OTL  to your Desktop.

www.­geekstogo.­com/­forum/­files/­file/­398-­otl-­oldtimers-­list-­it/­

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
services.*
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe

libpdcurses.dll 
svchost.exe
qmgr.dll
/md5stop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BITS /s
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F3130CDB-AA52-4C3A-AB32-85FFC23AF9C1}\InprocServer32 /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • attach both logs.
—————
Was this post helpful? Say “thanks” by giving me a “Kudo”!
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
fraserdude

Malware Killer,

It seems MalwareBytes sorted this issue out. It found where it was hiding and I manually found all the other annoying bits in my browsers. My question now is:

1. How come Trend don't provide protection for this type of stuff.

2. Does MalwareBytes live happily with Trend?

Anybody know the answer to either of these questions?

BTW Malware Killer, the OTL scan, what is it intended to do and how do you use it. I would rather know this stuff myself.

Please use plain text.
Epic Talent
malwarekiller

No antivirus detects all viruses and annoying toolbar type adware,because everyday more than 10000+ viruses come out.

MBAM will work happily with trend in my opinion.OTL is a custom scan tool that removes files when a correct script is given to the tool.Not recommended to use unless you know what you are doing only follow instructions of people who know how to do stuff right.

—————
Was this post helpful? Say “thanks” by giving me a “Kudo”!
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.