Skip to content

Stone Noble
melody406

Re: Need help, I believe my computer is infected with malware or a virus

On my friends tablet. My computer restarted itself while i wa in your site,and now it keeps restarting and restarting and over and over. Icannot go into any of the 3 safe modes or last known good config. My friend was able to get me into window recovery console during one of the many restartiings at c prompt i put help and longg line of choices are there. Tthere is a FIXBOOT and fixmbr but i dont know what to choose. Can you advise. Thanks so much.
Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

U should hit fixboot /fixmbr [notice space between t and /]

—————
Was this post helpful? Say “thanks” by giving me a “Kudo”!
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
melody406

Just got your reply on my friends tablet. You are so kind and patient with me. I am now going to use the windows recovery console. I am not real computer literate and i want to do everything right. Will reply back once i get the computer back up.
Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

ok.take your time.

—————
Was your question answered or issue solved? Mark that post as an “Accepted Solution”!
Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
melody406

Still using friends tab. Seems i may have to put recovery cd on computer. C disk is corrupted again and only way i can get into computer is through f8 or bios screen. Tried to fix boot fix mbr but computer still wont boot. I thank you for all help and ill get back to you to let you know how i fared. Any more advice?
Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

[ Edited ]

boot via recovery disk and type this in:

CHKDSK /R

Step1:Begin the repair process

• You must boot from your XP or 2000 CD. Please make sure it is the same version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer (ex. XP Home cannot repair XP Professional). Place the CD in your CDROM and start your computer. Newer versions will work as well (ie. Windows XP Pro SP2 CD will work on an older WinXP Pro SP1 installation)

Before the Windows logo appears, you will be asked to press any key to boot from CD, so do just that. 

Step 2: System repair steps

• A blue screen will appear and will begin loading XP setup from the CD. 

RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users: 
    You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported ATA controllers, then you need your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

Once completed, you will be confronted with "Windows Setup". You will be asked to setup up Windows, or repair Windows with the recovery console. Choose the FIRST option, NOT recovery console.

Choose F8 to continue.

• Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP/2000 installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation or install a fresh copy of Windows XP/2000.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

• That should be it. Windows XP/2000 will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, have your CD-KEY handy and hope for the best!

—————
Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

[ Edited ]

Hi if u dont have a SP3 installation disk u can download a ISO from a working computer from here and burn it to a CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25129

Note:if not asked to repair and asked to install SP3 please do so.

—————
Please use plain text.
Stone Noble
melody406

Hi didnt forget you. My former boss was kind enough to give me an older computer reformatted and like new with windows 7. I think that while i was in one window i tried to open another to go into google to look something ANDthats when the computer restarted and kept restarting. I messed up by doing that or either another virus entered. My bad. Thanks for all your help and if i ever need help again i will come back to trend micro.
Please use plain text.
Legendary Emissary
malwarekiller

[ Edited ]

Me thinks that is less of a virus but more of file system corruption but anyway if u need any help do come back here.

I would be glad to help u in any issue malware related or non-malware related.Keep Safe! :smileyhappy:

—————
Please use plain text.