Stone Emissary WG
Stone Emissary
WG

rate limiting - what qualifies?

What file size and/or total storage used qualfies a user for rate limiting?

What is the point of limiting someone who pays for Safe Sync storage?

Please use plain text.
Customer Service Manager
khanto

Re: rate limiting - what qualifies?

For Trend Micro Safesync's Rate Limiting, you may use the kb entry below.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1057788.aspx

thanks,

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary WG
Stone Emissary
WG

Safe Sync's kb on rate limiting does not provide answers.

What is the distinction between "the unaffected 95%" and "affected 5%"?

What file size and or total storage in use does Trend Micro safe Sync determine to be subject to rate limiting?

Please provide the details we users pay for and must accept.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
silentpal

Hi WG,

The amount of data you can store on SafeSync is unrestricted as long as your Online Storage is not yet full (e.g. You have 100Gb Online Storage and has a 50% Free Disk Space it means that you can still upload or sync files). Rate Limiting are the actual use of the Connection Bandwidth or access to the Cloud Server that's why your upload speed is restricted in certain instances to protect the level of service we give to most of our users. The SafeSync End-User License Agreement (EULA) allows Trend Micro to introduce rate limiting as part of the fair usage policy.

Click here to read End-User License Agreement and here for Fair Usage Policy.

So the 5% of SafeSync Users refers to those heavy users of the Internet and typical or average Internet users fall under 95%.

This rate limiting is applicable to those users that got the introductory plan called Unlimited Storage, now that we have different storage plans (e.g. 20GB, 50GB 100GB etc) you are not affected by it. If you are part of the remaining 5% of users that upload a very huge amount of data, then yes.

Again, check the fair usage policy that deals with this scenario for details.

Hope this explains it all!

Regards,

silentpal

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary WG
Stone Emissary
WG

"The amount of data you can store on SafeSync is unrestricted as long as your Online Storage is not yet full"

Does not make sense.

"This rate limiting is applicable to those users that got the introductory plan called Unlimited Storage, now that we have different storage plans (e.g. 20GB, 50GB 100GB etc) you are not affected by it."

Does not make sense.

From your fair usage policy:

...Trend Micro reserves the right to establish limits on the size of data messages transmitted..."

Your fair usage policy provides no details.

"Trend Micro also prohibits excessive use, which means usage over a given period far exceeds the average level of usage by users generally..."

Which means you don't tell your users, all of whom are paid users.

and finally, you do not define "excessive use."

and you don't intend to tell users who pay for Trend Micro Safe Sync service:

"In its sole discretion, Trend Micro may or may not notify you in advance of any such action."

Is this what you call a "fair use policy?" We pay you and you change the rules when you want without telling your paid customers? How do you define "fair?"

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Shygal

i think its included on the license agreement yet WE as customers seldom or NEVER read.

"In its sole discretion, Trend Micro may or may not notify you in advance of any such action."<< I think some companies really have this things. It's like Mcdonalds increasing their price without prior notice to public. 

based on my understanding about the fair usage policy is that it 

Is this what you call a "fair use policy?" We pay you and you change the rules when you want without telling your paid customers? How do you define "fair?"<< they mentioned that they MAY or MAY NOT so it means it's not 100% that they WON'T. :smileyvery-happy:

Maybe your just too frustrated with a certain issue that's why you look on the negative side too much. 

:heart:

Please use plain text.