Skip to content

Stone Esquire
Voronwe
Accepted Solution

Unable to install Housecall (E:1078045795:0)

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help. I am struggling with some unknown virus that has disabled almost all of my netbook's internet ability. The only way I can browse at all is through Google Chrome in safe mode. Firefox, IE, and Chrome outside of safe mode just hang at "Waiting for..." for a few seconds when visiting any website, before going to "page not found". Also, any program that requires internet connections (such as Housecall installer or other anti-virus installations) cannot find a connection, and so do not work. 

The netbook is running Windows XP SP3, and both Spybot and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware have cleared everything they can and now report a clean system, yet the problem persists. AVG Free also reported a clean system at the time the problem first started, though I have since uninstalled AVG in a (failed) attempt to install a retail copy of McAfee Antivirus instead. Using McAfee's preinstall executable, I was able to get as far as logging in with their installer, but it hangs before actually downloading anything. 

Now I have tried using TrendMicro's Housecall, and encounter this error message immediately after opening "HousecallLauncher.exe":

• Unable to complete the download. Please ensure you have Internet connection and try again. (E:1078045795:0)

I have also followed instructions on rebuilding windows' network connection using the command line, as well as reseting all browser settings, but no luck. I have 3 other computers running on the network and none of them have any problems, so I know it's not a router or modem issue. 

One last thing to note: the problem has gotten worse since it first started. I was originally able to use any browser while in safe mode, but after a dozen attempts to get McAfee to install, Firefox and IE suddenly started behaving just as they do in normal mode, leaving me with Chrome. 

Attached is my Hijackthis log. I can already see a few things I find suspicious, but I have no idea how to proceed with removing anything based on the log. 

Thanks again for any help! 

Chris

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
sweet_trender21

Re: Unable to install Housecall (E:1078045795:0)

Hi Voronwe,

Good day!

Re-run hijackthis and do a system scan only. Check the entries on the list below and click on Fix check button

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local;

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: Foxit Toolbar - {3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll

Thank you

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Voronwe

Thanks for the quick response! I completed the instructions and those 5 entries no longer show up, but the problem remains the same. Attached my new hijackthis log.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
greggmh123

You stated that you "followed instructions on rebuilding windows' network connection" using the command line, but you did not state what steps you actually used.

You should have used the two following commands (naming the log whatever you desire):

netsh int ip reset c:\ip-reset.log

netsh winsock reset

Reboot after the second command.

Gregg

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Voronwe

I think that is what I tried before, or at least something similar. I just ran the commands as they are in your post, rebooted, and still no change :smileysad:.

Thanks again anyway :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
DigiTM

Hello all,

For a little introduction, I've been in the IT world for roughly 12 years. Recently separated from the military because of End Term of Service (ETS), serving as an IT & Network Administrator for 6 years. Currently working on my A.A.S. - Data Assurance & IT Security as well as other network certifications. I have recently received a computer from a family member that was infected by malware. I trust Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) and Trend Micro's Housecall to clean many of my infected computers with flawless results. Although, with this computer, things did not go as planned.

THIS IS QUITE LONG BUT WORTH IT … READ ON

I first installed MBAM on the computer and proceeded to update, which kicked an error to the screen:

"MBAM_Error_Updating (12029, 0, WinHTTPSendRequest)"

Figures … So I move on to Housecall. After downloading it and trying to run it I also get the same error that you are getting Chris:

Unable to install Housecall (E:1078045795:0)

At this point I just found a manual update for MBAM HERE and installed. After I updated, I restarted the computer in Safe Mode and ran a complete scan from MBAM, of course removing anything it found. I restarted the computer and allowed Windows to load normally, then proceeded to restart in Safe Mode and do another complete scan with MBAM to make sure all threats are taken care of … and they were.

I rebooted the computer, once again, into Windows normally. Everything seemed to be operating smoothly, boot was fine, programs ran ok, and I could also access the internet. I went to update MBAM and I still get the 12029 error! I also check Housecall and I still get the error from that!

Going to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings and all the options in there are set correctly … meaning, “Automatically detect settings” is checked and NOTHING else. I’ve read in many places that this is a fix for some people. Another fix others have reported is to use a public proxy server, which can be found HERE post 11 and 13.

Since Lan Settings checked out ok for me I figured it was a LSP or Socket layer issue. Downloaded LSPFix and ran that with no luck, it said everything was fine. Being Windows Vista I used these next two commands to reset the Socket layer and the TCP/IP stack and as Gregg has mentioned above in his post:

Netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Still no luck for me. I ran HiJackThis to see what was actually running and tripped over a service called vsmon.exe … It happens to belong to ZoneAlarm’s Firewall program. With further investigation I didn’t find any instances of ZoneAlarm properly installed on the computer … meaning it wasn’t in the Start Menu or in the Control Panel. But, there were still folders lingering in Program Files and System32. With more in depth research I found a way to uninstall this service the correct way HERE post 4. It was due to an incomplete uninstall from the previous user but to sum it up you have to reinstall ZoneAlarm then follow those instructions to uninstall. PLEASE do it that way because if you try and manually delete the service from the registry, then delete the files it could render your Network Adapters inoperable with a Device Manager code 31 … and trust me, you don’t want to go down that road.

After completing the uninstall and restarting the computer I was able to update MBAM and also run Housecall. Hows that for a happy ending?! LoL

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
DigiTM

Chris,

There are a few discrepancies in your HJT log. I see ZoneAlarm is running on your computer, if you are currently using ZA I would consider adding Housecall to your firewall exceptions if you haven’t already. If you are not using ZA, and had it at one point, then you are suffering from what I was … read previous post to fix.

I would also check your Lan Settings in IE to make sure only the top option is checked and that IE is not working in Offline mode via the tools menu.

I would start by uninstalling Spybot and restarting your computer. Then run HiJackThis and remove these lines:

Also, there’s an unknown file in your LSP reported by HJT. This could be your issue preventing Housecall from installing, download LSPFix and run it, it’ll let you know.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
Voronwe

Completed everything you suggested, no results :smileysad:. Even worse, a few days later and I can no longer access any webpage whatsoever with the infected netbook, even with Chrome in safe mode. I'm having to post from my other PC now. This seems to be getting worse and nothing seems to be working :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
DigiTM

Download and install MBAM, update it with the manual update, restart your computer in safemode and run a Complete scan with it. Remove anything it finds then restart your computer back in normal mode and run HJT and post a new log.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire tch
Stone Esquire
tch

We have Windows XP and were having the same problem, it was sticking at 48% then giving us that error message.  I couldn't download any other anti virus program incl MalwareBytes from any website.... but we were able to use the SCAN on Microsoft's website which found 4 things it fixed (sorry I don't know what they were, my husband did it) but it still wasn't working properly... so... I tried restoring the computer to a previous date and this time I did get Housecall to download!  Ran the scan and it found 2 Trojans and a virus, which it repaired.  HTH, thanks TrendMicro. :womanvery-happy:

Please use plain text.