Skip to content

Stone Emissary
KeithXP

Safesync for Business: Team Folders on multiple computers

I just installed the Safesync client software on my notebook, using the same account details that I have used for my desktop machine.

I did not want all the Team Folders on the laptop, and so I unticked these in 'Preferences>Sync>Customize'.

I was very surprised to discover on returning to my desktop computer that the Team Folders has disappeared here too. Is this by design? Surely which folders are sync'd should be configurable on a per machine basis, not unilaterally applied to all installations for a given user account?

I would also like to add that although I understand the desire to make the software as straightforward as possible, I would really appreciate being able to control bandwidth utilization more than the three settings offered and to view upload/download progress. The latter would be very useful especially when large files are concerned. There might be time to go to lunch rather than waiting in front of the screen for a transfer to complete with no idea of ETA...

Lastly, are there any plans for a LAN-sync feature? It would really help speed things up when we are together in the office.

Final word- how about a dedicated Safesync forum?

Please use plain text.
Customer Service Manager
khanto

Re: Safesync for Business: Team Folders on multiple computers

Hi,

About the Team Folders, kindly try using the link below.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1058505.aspx

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
KeithXP

Thanks for the reply and link, but the information there does not help, nor is it anything I do not already know. My issue is that I want to be able to configure my laptop to sync a subset of the Team Folders, and it may be a different subset to my Desktop computer. However, it appears from my experience that the selection/deselection of folders is replicated to all computers signed in with the same account credentials. This is not what I want, nor do I believe it is generally desirable. It should be configurable on a per computer basis not per account login.
Please use plain text.
Trend Micro Employee
silentpal

Hi KeithXP,

I understand that you wanted to create a Folder Pair in a different computer using 1 account but you need to know first that everything you do with the Sync Folder will also reflect on the Web Portal so any changes made to the folder pair will be sync up on the web portal so if you deleted a folder on your local computer or notebook this changes will happen on your web portal. Therefore my recommendation is to use Smart Drive in one computer only and then access web portal files in your other computer by doing this it will not delete any files that is sync up already. Hope this helps!

Regards,

silentpal

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
KeithXP

i am a little confused by your response. By 'Smart Drive', I presume you mean the Safesync client software, although it appears that the virtual drive has been dropped in v.5, so there is no 'smart drive' so to speak.

Installing Safesync on multiple computers with the same profile was, I thought, a supported configuration. I seem to recall reading an support document describing the setup process. A logical extension of this would be that the folder pairing could be configured on the client machine. I think Trend are missing a trick in not providing this functionality. I understand that all changes in a Team Folder are reflecton on the portal - that is the whole point of the software. I don't see why that presents any issues. If a particular computer is set not to sync that folder will be ignored and any changes are irrelevant.

It seems that the only way to achieve full flexibility is for everyone to use the same account and just pair up folders that they want. Security/user access rights is not an issue for us so we would not miss that aspect of the Team Folders.

Please use plain text.