Skip to content

Moderator Emeritus
JSMO

*SafeSync* The Slow Upload Speed Thread

Hi everyone,

I have merged all the Threads/ Post concerning the "Slow upload speed" of SafeSync.

This way we can answer all those threads in one easy swoop.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
fredrikahlgren

Safesync speeds are terribly slow, client in OSX unstable

I recently signed up for the Safesync service. I have tried Humyo earlier but chose a competitor at that time because their service was not worth it for me. I was happy when Trend Micro made Humyos service better!

Anyways. My upload speeds are at max 1Mbit/s. I have tried from both home network, office network (fiber-lan university Sweden) and a virtual server situated in the Netherlands with 100/100 connection. This cannot be my internet connection that is slow. Also the download speed at max has been 2Mbit/s regardless of the three locations I have tried your service at.

If you cannot handle more speed your service will be useless for most people. Think of restoring 100GB of data at a rate of 100-200 kb/s... Not fun at all.

The client in OSX Snow Leopard is also buggy. It has crashed several times for me, I have opened a support ticket for this but no response yet. It also takes a lot of resources I think. Not unusual that the HumyoAgent is using about 100% of my CPU. No other backup software I have used uses this kind of resources.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
masa

Re: Safesync speeds are terribly slow, client in OSX unstable

Same here.

Mac client died many times and furthermore, files/folders I've deleted came back.

Very inconsistent behaviour.

I'm not sure whether I can trust this system as a backup system...

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
JamesL

Safesync - 15 Sec Lag when Right Clicking in Windows

After installing Safesync on my computer, I realized that every time I right clicked on a file on my computer, there would be a delay of 15 seconds where the hourglass would spin, before the popup menu appeared.

It would happen regardless of the file, folder or drive that I right clicked on.

Anyone has the same problems as me?

Computer information:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 2

Intel i7 2.67GHz

4GB RAM

Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
stephen

Re: Safesync - 15 Sec Lag when Right Clicking in Windows

Works ok for me (Vista Home Premium 32 on a slower computer).

Every now and then, SafeSync does seem to run away with cpu time and stop things responding so well (including right-click on Explorer).  In this case I have found that killing hrfscore.exe and HrfsClient.exe, and then restarting "Trend Micro Configuration and Status" works.  I use Procexp for the killing, but Task Manager should do as well.  So try that, and see if you problem goes away.

Mostly SafeSync is using about 10% cpu; which is reasonable as it is still in a solid backing up mode.  On a fully backed up computer it does not seem to using any perceptible cpu.  When it goes wild, it uses between 45 and 50% ~ typical for a single thread getting into some silly state on a dual core machine.

I think SyncSafe looks as if it will be worth the headaches, but there are certainly quite a few initial niggles.

S

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
JamesL

It doesn't help at all, sadly. I've tried restarting the computer, killing the processes and restarting "Trend Micro Configuration and Status" but the problem still stays.

The 15sec lag appears whenever I right click or press CTRL+X or CTRL+C on any file/folder/drive.

The lag disappears when the processes aren't running... so most likely it's caused by Safesync.

Yea, i think Safesync has great potential... but it appears quite buggy. I almost ran away after having issues with the 'Remove Pair' button in the configuration, but decided to stick around because I really like the idea of backing up my data that is stored on DVDs online, rather than data on the hard disks only.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
JamesL

Oh, I've also tried disconnecting the, but it doesn't make a difference.

I've also noticed that for the next few seconds after the 15s lag, right clicking on other files/folders/drives would be lag-less.

Maybe something is waiting for something to time out...

Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
stephen

Could be a firewall or (less likely) anitvirus thing.  Try turning them off temporarily and seeing if it makes any difference.

S

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
JamesL

No difference.. i've placed my computer on the dmz and switched off my antivirus but the lag's still there.

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
JamesL

Resolved. The problem disappeared by its own, without me restarting my computer, restarting the application, whatsoever.

There's now a new item in the sub-menu when I right click on an object which reads, 'Trend Micro SafeSync', that wasn't present before. Maybe the lag was caused by Windows trying to get the sub-menu to appear, before giving up.

Please use plain text.