Stone Esquire OS
Stone Esquire
OS
Accepted Solution

Internet Security Performance

SfCtlCom.exe is using 20-85% of my CPU cycles and apparently keeping my hard drive in nearly constant use, even when the system is sitting idle.

I'm running TM Internet Security Version 17.5.1366.0000.

It's a Windows XP SP3 system, 3GHz PentiumD, 2 G Ram

Is there any valid reason for this to be taking up so much CPU time?

Please use plain text.
Stone Kendo
redalert

Re: Internet Security Performance

if SfCtlCom.exe is eating up a lot of your computer memory, the common cause is a conflicting application that would run along with Trend Micro. Usually another antivirus or an anti-spyware program perhaps. 

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire OS
Stone Esquire
OS

Thanks for the response.  There are no other antivirus or spyware programs installed on this machine.  There are only two other processes running that take up any CPU time, one is related to my Bluetooth, the other is another part of Trend Micro.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
SavL

[ Edited ]

seems to be a common problem.  Have reinstalled XP SP2 and SP3 and had the same problem (opening Notepad took over 2 Minutes!!)

System Info:

Centrino Dual CoreT5500; 1.6 GHz; 2GB Ram

TM Info:

Program: 17.1.1250

Version: 17.0.1.1234

Scan Engine 8.950.1094

Pattern 6.625.50

Only way to solve it was to disable all system scans (not good) or to run Norton (compatibility issues with system at work...  ;-((          ...but the good news is, they have the same problems and might switch also

Hopefully there will be a solution with the next update or so, other solutions have to enable me to work again normally...

For cases like this, there's a chance that though there's no other AV installed, there's traces left on the machine causing the issue.

Just an update, we can try upgrading to the new 2012 version and check if problem persist.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059​195.aspx

***Note: This thread is locked due to inactivity, for similar concerns kindly post a new topic.

Please use plain text.