Stone Esquire
jonrohan
Accepted Solution

How does safesync store files....

Hi There, 

I'd like to know if safesync encrypts our files uploaded onto the Trend storage platform? The website mentions that data is transmitted securely but not if the data is stored using encryption to stop prying eyes. :smileyhappy:

Thanks, 

Jon

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
jonrohan

Re: How does safesync store files....

[ Edited ]

Typical. As soon as I post this I find the answer. :smileytongue:.

t would be nice if Trend could confirm.

Can people at Trend Micro / your partners see my files?

Files are not stored in a simple directory on a server, but distributed across storage servers using a proprietary platform. A file on a server has just a number, so it would not be possible to know what software to open that file with, or to differentiate your file from any other user's file without referring to the main database which holds this information.

The web interface does all this for you, but since we cannot sign in as you (because we don't store your password only a checksum of it) it would be a laborious job for anyone here to look at your files as it would be necessary to manually convert each one into its id number, find which server that id is stored on, then retrieve it from the server and rename it.

Please use plain text.
Moderator Emeritus
JSMO

Hi jonrohan

Just a quick reminder that these forums are not setup as a support channel but as a peer to peer service for people to get in touch with each other concerning Trend Micro Products and Share their Trend Micro Experiences with one another.

Here is a quote from our community guidelines found here

Quote:

"Finally, Trend Micro provides no formal customer support via these boards. However, employees from many different Trend Micro departments actively follow and sometimes volunteer their expertise and new information to these discussions. Trend Affiliates and our knowledgeable fans may also volunteer their knowledge and experience. If you are a Trend Micro customer you are welcome to open a formal case for support. Support contact information is located on the Community header menus, on trendmicro.com, and in your software.

I suggest you contact Customer Support directly if you need assistance ASAP.

Here's the info: http://us.trendmicro.com/us/about/contact/index.html

Thank you for understanding.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
jonrohan

Hey, 

No problem. Just wanted to clarify a feature. :smileyhappy:. Hopefully it will benefit others. 

Jon

Please use plain text.
Moderator Emeritus
JSMO

Oh my bad then.

Please use plain text.
Trend Micro
slabster

hi jonrohan,

yup, you found the answer to your question :smileyhappy:

Ref: EN-1056669 Can people at Trend Micro see my files?

I am a Trend Micro employee. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience. Now posting as erza.
Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
Checkmate

In other word, it doesn't look like it is encrypted, if someone can touch those raw files

aka:

82193872198.file (or whatever extension there)

One can only need to rename the extension blindly (.doc, .txt, .zip, .rar, .mp3, even .mkv) and they may read the file.

There are a few way to tell from the headers the file types (documents, compressed, movie, video, music etc...)

Please use plain text.
Stone Emissary
snyggapa

>One can only need to rename the extension blindly (.doc, .txt, .zip, .rar, .mp3, even .mkv) and they may read the file.

exactly, that answer is terrible. you can tell by opening the file in notepad what a large percentage of common files are.

even if you don't know who they belong to, if you have a document that contains a name and address , or spreadhseet containing passwords or bank account details then it hardly matters which account it belongs to...

-Steve

Please use plain text.
Honored Esquire
stephen

The SafeSync Ts&Cs (claim to) allow them (or any unspecified sub-licencee)  to do almost anything they like with your files.

In order to make the Trend Micro SafeSync service available to you, you agree to grant Trend Micro a limited, non-exclusive, perpetual, fullypaid and royalty-free, sub-licensable and worldwide license: (i) to use, copy, transmit, distribute, store and cache files that you choose to sync and/or store; and (ii) to copy, transmit, publish, and distribute to others the files as you designate.

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
ElenaLauder

It looks that Trend change the Backup System.

I have read here that a encyption is now available:

http://online-backup-services-review.toptenreviews.com/safesync-review.html

Security:

SafeSync takes all the precautionary security measures we would expect from a top-notch online backup service to ensure the protection of your data, and they utilize many of the same security methods and technologies as financial institutions and government agencies. In fact, the remote backup service houses its servers in a former gold bullion vault once used by the Bank of England. It also has secure firewalls to defend the servers from cyber attacks and partitioned networks. The latter keeps each redundant network independent so if one network partition, or storage cluster, is hacked or contaminated, it will not affect the other partitions.

When it comes to data encryption, SafeSync offers 256-bit AES encryption on transfer. This ensures your data doesn't fall into the wrong hands as it is being transferred to their servers. In addition, the service gives you full access control so you can control who – if anyone – sees your data; even SafeSync personnel cannot access your data unless you authorize them.

What do you thing about this?

Best regards

Elena

Please use plain text.