Skip to content

Stone Esquire
sheilac
Accepted Solution

Cannot End Process for when crashes on scanning for security threats

Sometimes PC-Cillin scans for security threats but never ends its process and causes problems using my computer. I need to manually kill it. I try task manager to stop the process for TMBMSRV.exe and it will not not end the process.

You also cannot restart or shut down the computer with the Start button

The only way to recover is to manually power down the machine, which is not a great solution.

Does anyone know how to deal with this and end all processes for PC-Cillin so I can reboot?

I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2010.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
xmagix

Re: Cannot End Process for when crashes on scanning for security threats

Can you try to check as to at what percent was your Trend Micro doing a scan and what file it is checking?

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
sheilac

I think it was 10% and I don't think I saw which file. I will pay attention to that.  It was at 10% all night long.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
xmagix

Okay, I think you need to do some manual cleanup on your computer, please follow the steps outlined below. You can ignore the defrag part for the meantime. Do the following steps for clearing out your temporary and unimportant files on your computer, you will be doing this in Windows safemode to better cleanup your machine. 

Boot your computer in Windows Safemode.
  a. Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
  b. Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  c. Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
  d. Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode. Go into your account. Click on ' Yes ' to proceed into safemode.

Things would look funny as basic components of Windows are the only systems loaded with your Windows.

Click on Start then Run (its Start Search for Vista). Type in ' temp '  then hit enter on your keyboard. On the new window, click on Edit then Select All and then hit the Delete button on your Keyboard. Click on Yes. Close the window.

Click on Start then Run (its Start Search for Vista). Type in ' %temp% ' then hit enter on your keyboard. On the new window, click on Edit then Select All and then hit the Delete button on your Keyboard. Click on Yes. Close the window.

Click on Start then Run(its Start Search for Vista). Type in ' prefetch ' then hit enter on your keyboard. On the new window, click on Edit then Select All and then hit the Delete button on your Keyboard. Click on Yes. Close the window.

Open your browser (the Internet Explorer, the one with the blue small letter e that has a gold band around it). It would say that page cannot be displayed or no internet connection, that is OK. Look for and click on Tools on the upper left side and then click on Internet Options. Click on the Delete button for Browsing History. On the Delete Browsing History window, only the following items should have marks on their boxes, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History and InPrivate Filtering Data. Click on ' Delete '. A please wait window would come while it does the cleanup.

Click on Start then click on Run (its Start Search for Vista). Type in cleanmgr and hit ' Enter ' on your keyboard. Choose drive ' C ' to clean if a message window comes up to ask you. After it has scanned your computer, a different window would be presented to you. Make sure that all the tick boxes has a check mark on them and then click on ' Ok ' then ' Delete Files' button. The window would disappear after it has finished.

Restart the computer normally.

Cleaning up the Java Cache
====================

Please click on the link below and follow the instructions on deleting the Java Cache. Make sure that the latest version of Java is running on the computer.

To check if you have the latest version of Java, use this link: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/windows_manual_download.xml

Cleaning the Java cache:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000020300.xml

Cleaning up the flash cookies
=======================

Make sure that you have the lastest flash player installed on the computer, check on this link: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Then, click on the link below and clean up your flash cookies, click on the delete all sites on the settings manager:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager06.html

Flash cookies explained:
-----------------------------

Flash cookies are a new way of tracing your movement and storing a lot more information about you than with normal cookies. One major disadvantage of flash cookies is that you can’t locate them in your browser. They are not shown in the list of cookies that you can see when you take a look at the cookies that are currently saved in your web browser. Normal HTTP cookies can’t save more than 4 Kilobyte of data while Flash cookies can save up to 100 Kilobytes.

Optimizing the computer
================
Run diskfrag on your computer for better performance. Do this overnight or if you have the time.

You need administrator privileges to defragment a drive or volume. Although fragmentation is complicated, it's easy to defragment your computer by following these steps:

1.Open My Computer, right-click Local Disk, and then click Properties.
2.On the Tools tab, click Defragment Now. The Disk Defragmenter opens.
3.Click your first hard disk, and then click Defragment. Disk Defragmenter will work for at least several minutes, though it may take several hours.

Restart normally and update your Trend Micro. Do a scan and see if it still gets stuck at 10%.

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
sheilac

Thank you. I will try these. I have Windows XP Pro.

Please use plain text.