Stone Esquire
Skolnick
Accepted Solution

Deep Security VM Update Failed

Hello all,

I recently installed a DSM and am having the following problem. I have a Test VM set up with Windows 2003 64-bit SP2, this Test VM activates but I eventually get a warning and an error. The error is as follows

1) Update Failed (Agent/Appliance Error)

Event ID: 721

The Description is as follows

Event: Engine Command Failed

Description: Engine command code GET_INTERFACES failed with error: -1(Unknown error 18446744073709551615)

And the warning is:

2) Virtual Machine Interfaces Out of Sync

Interfaces out of sync

Event ID: 368
Description: An error occurred verifying the monitored interfaces for the Virtual Machine. This could be due to an incorrect Network Adapter configuration on the Deep Security Virtual Appliance. Check to ensure the Network Adapters are properly configured for the Virtual Appliance in vCenter. Error: Operation failed. ioctl failed

Funny thing is when I log on to the DSVA console and navigate to the Virtual Agents and check out the Test VM, I get:

ioctl: ioctl failed

stats unavailble

Which is the same line from the warning. Anyone think they can help me out with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
leeii15

Re: Deep Security VM Update Failed

I am curious to see if you ever found a solution to this issue. I just installed DS as well and I am having the same issue with all of my client agents.

Please use plain text.
Affiliate
kirill

Please:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/333194

and also , from readme file of DSM:

- If DSM is unable to connect to vCenter for an extended period of time, you may
   notice certain errors constantly being raised and resolved on Deep Security
   Virtual Appliance VMs, particularly the "Interfaces Out of Sync" error.  In
   general, when DSM is integrated with vCenter, it must maintain constant
   connectivity with vCenter in order to properly provide protection to the
   environment.  When connectivity is broken, DSM will not be able to respond to
   the dynamic environment and issues like this can occur.  The solution is to
   ensure that connectivity between DSM and vCenter is always maintained. [10564]

Kirill

I am a Trend Micro Affiliate Emeritus. My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience. I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience. Now posting as KirillGelfand.
Please use plain text.
Stone Esquire
avbohemen

From my experience, I have found that the following solutions work in 99% of the time.

First, check all the things in this article: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-US/1060525.aspx This is a very good start and solves many things. If you still get errors, try these options:

Interfaces out of sync error:

This is usually solved by doing a "Synchronize Now" with the vCenter server (right-click the vCenter server in the DSM management interface, click Synchronize Now). This may be caused by an interruption in the communication between DSM and vCenter, for example after a restart of the vCenter services.

Agent/Appliance update failed error:

I recently found that this is caused by an incomplete Prepare ESX action on the ESX(i) servers. You can solve this in 2 ways:

1. Restore ESX, followed by Prepare ESX. This will need 2 reboots of the ESX server.
  2. Check the following advanced setting in the vSphere client: Select an ESX server, go to Configuration - Advanced Settings - Net - Net.DVFilterBindIpAddress. This setting should have a value of 169.254.1.1. If this setting is empty, fill in the IP address and reboot the ESX server. This way you only need 1 reboot.

If there is a Trend Micro Affliate reading this: I think checking the value of Net.DVFilterBindIpAddress should be added to http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-US/1060525.aspx :smileyhappy:

My two cents.

Please use plain text.
Customer Service Manager
abbyd

Hi, 

The KB article http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-US/1060525.aspx has been updated as per your suggestion. 

Please use plain text.